Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas price to rise by 39% and Electric by 27% in April.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Too much of a "keeping up with the Jones' " from FF and FG by trying to brown nose the EU and the US, but at a cost to our own social prosperity. The election will create quite a chaotic political scene for us, right when we need political stability. It's not going to be good I feel in a few years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

I was up in Arigna a few years ago doing the tour of the mines. Our guide advised that the coal that came from there was of poor quality and could only be used for electric generation. Even with that the mine it would need a subsidy from the state for each ton produced. He did advise however that the coal produced down in Castlecomer was of the highest quality and did have huge potential. However our NIMBYs will make sure that thus will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Energia are leapfrogging now again.

The whole thing is kind of like a reverse Laurel and Hardy where the owners of these companies with their black suits, dickiebows, ridiculous looking moustaches and cigars make eejits out of the audience for their own amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

We are told this €200 subsidy was to appear on our bills for April, received my bill today (payment due in early April) and no sign of the subsidy.

Is this the case for everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Government has stated that the credit will be a €200 (including VAT) electricity credit and will be available from the 4th of April, some households may not receive the credit until May or June depending on when you are due to bill.

The Government Electricity Credit will be automatically applied to all electricity customer accounts and no action will be required from the customer.

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/help/billing/government-electricity-credit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Just got our latest electricity bill and got a shock at how much it's increased. I know its been flagged for the last few months but still....

We have oil heating and got 500lts a few weeks ago and it was 800+ and last year a whole tank was around that price. Also noticed the shopping and petrol going up every week. Time to start cutting back on stuff wherever possible I think.

We've had a long run of stable prices and should be thankful for that I suppose but it seems to be everything

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Hold on to your britches. It's going to get a whole lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Think you're right and the extra carbon taxes coming in may and october wont help. There was something on the news earlier about the cost of housing gone up 14% around the country. How are people expected to save to buy a place to live anymore or pay the crazy rents. We're lucky we were able to buy years ago, we'd really struggle to pay the huge rents and save a deposit now. Something needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Paying huge rent here at 2k a month before bills and saving for a deposit. Our leccy was 800 for 2 months.

It ain't easy watching house prices go up year on year.

I keep saying to herself, we'll end up moving to the continent and buying over there. Thank **** for remote work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

it,ll get worse oil prices are going up,energy prices effect all production, we might be going for a recession, as people slow down on buying luzury goods, like expensive phones, game consoles ,brand name clothing, we,ll be spending more on energy,petrol, oil, we have been in a long period of low inflation ,low interest rates for years, the only thing going up in price every year was property, i dont know how people can save up a deposit, unless they can live with their family avoid paying rent .its like running in a race, you run at 15mph, if the person in front runs at 25mph ,you,,ll never be able to catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

Same here. I have already received my bill, due for payment April 8th and no trace of this subsidy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't think the reality of what's coming down the tracks has hit home yet.

I suppose we are to a large extent quite optimistic people, and most just try to live for today. Great to see the numbers of people heading away for a break from this depressing island (even though Dublin Airport is a disaster), because it will become one of those "discretionary" spends that will only apply to a certain cohort before too long I think.

Realistically what can anyone do? It is going to be tough for those planning a future, getting married, buying a house and so on. Will be much harder to do and will take a lot longer than now. Then when time passes the prices will be still out of reach. It is so disheartening.

I don't know.... except I do know that the standing charges are outrageous. The VAT needs to be at a lower level on energy, sure isn't that one of the reasons Brexit happened (LOL), so that Britain could set its own VAT rates without approval from the EU. That same EU needs to get its act together PDQ for all our sakes, and get out of the Berlaymont Building and live in the real world.

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be bumpy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I'm in the same boat, my bill is due on the 1st April, they take the direct debit on the 15th, if the credit appears between those 2 dates i'm going to ring up and ask that they take it off, they might not, might say it's too late, but no harm in asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Electric Ireland prices up from May.

Let's hope next winter is mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's 2.5 years away and much of this will have passed by then. You seem to assume that the Opposition have huge stashes of fairy dust to magic all of this away!

It's already done that but the likely arithmetic is still in the government's favour, despite expected losses. Some of this stuff, especially the energy pricing question they have very little control over and are at the mercy of the global markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The powers that be still aren't understanding what uncontrollable energy prices does to the economy/inflation. It's a double edged sword, if they don't cap prices or drastically reduce tax, the VAT receipts will plummet from lack of consumer spending, jobs will go adding to social welfare bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wtf are you talking about. Claiming most of these problems with our country will be passed by then. If anything we could be even worse off. Recession is a high possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Wait, are you telling me the opposition don't have a magic wand to wave and fix everything?

Well, this has runined my lovely sunny Wednesday

Puerile invective aside, most of the stuff on that list will be gone. Housing and health in mess are a a given.

Sadly, they lost it and must embark on a quest to seek it out once more!

It is the price of gas at the root of this and they have limited scope to adjust that as it's primarily EU-dictated. We may be able to drop 1-1.5% off but that's it. There were some discussions last week about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

At this rate the middle income unsubsidised earners will be closer to the welfare recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

We are with SSE Airtricity. I assume since they state that they are 100% renewable that their prices wont be going up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Glad to see you have a crystal ball. Any chance of the winning lotto numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I'm expecting circa 60% rise in electricity prices in the coming 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Quitelife

If you have a mortgage payment of 1000 or more you already are.

Any middle income worker on less than 65K PA paying a mortgage of a thousand a month or paying college costs for their children is worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I'm with them as well, and i see SSE have raised annual earnings forecast for the second time this year, the share price has hit an all time high.

Expecting a price hike any day.

Advertisement