Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat dental treatment cost

Options
  • 14-03-2022 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I’ve had my cat for about 9 months now; just back from a visit to the vet and it looks like he’ll probably need to have some dental treatment done (tooth removal, gingivitis). The cost of this procedure is just shy of €500.

I’m wondering if this is the going rate, or are there people out there who have paid much less? Any input appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It does seem a bit on the pricy side, but as it needs to be done under general anesthesia it's not going to be cheap. I'd have thought 2-300 or thereabouts, but that's just a guess. If you know exactly what needs to be done, I'd ring round a few vets and see what they quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

That seems expensive. My dog had his teeth cleaned and around 10 extractions for around 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dorcashong

I was quoted $500 on the low side, $1000 on the high side for the full package - exam, extraction, anesthesia, etc.

Just checked the quote and the extraction itself is $350 not including all the blood work, xrays, anesthesia, etc.

But then again, I know my vet is a little pricier than others in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Check a vets in a less affluent area, or a country town.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

I had been in touch with the DSPCA (who I got the cat from), and even they said the price was pretty steep. I got a second opinion in the Animal Welfare Clinic and they said there was no urgent need for dental work.

They are closer to my house, so I'll be going to them in future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just be careful leaving it. I had similar advice for one of Baileys teeth - leave it for the time being etc etc… I decided to get it removed a while later as I could see subtle signs that he was uncomfortable (and it was dental month so 10% off!). You could clearly see his relief at getting the tooth out so I’m glad I didn’t keep waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

What subtle signs did you notice? Anything I should keep an eye out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He was hesitating taking treats off me during training and I realised it must be hurting him.

Advertisement