Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing cats - did yours return?

Options
  • 14-03-2022 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

My cats missing, just over a week now and we're devastated. We're following the advice about what to do (checking neighbours sheds, flyers, leaving litter tray outside) but we're losing hope.

Just looking for others experiences of their own cats that have gone missing and what the resolution was? Did they ever return? Did you ever find out what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Had 1 return of her own accord after 2 weeks away! Skinny, but just walked in the door like she’d never left.

Had another turn up injured after 3 days away.

Also had a couple that met a grisly end on the road….

Yours might just have got waylaid avoiding heavy rainfall. I wouldn’t give up hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Baybay

GingerLily, I have a thread on here about our fellow who’s been missing since January 27. We did all the things you’re doing. People were very helpful but while we had lots of calls, messages, texts etc saying he’d been spotted, none of the other gorgeous cats we saw were him.

We are, as you say, devastated.

But our fellow was older & while in good health, may have taken himself off due to some health issue of which we weren’t aware.

He’s on our local FB lost & found animal page & most of the rest of the cats & dogs on there have been found or came home so don’t give up hope. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

When I was a teenager, my cat Frodo went missing. I was devastated, spent weeks looking for him and eventually gave up, resigning ourselves to the thought he had passed away. We even went out and got two new kittens. 10 months later I was getting ready for school and my mam called me out to the kitchen because she couldn’t believe it, there was Frodo, bauld as brass, sitting on the kitchen window waiting for his breakfast! He must have moved in somewhere else because he was still plump and shiny. We went out and got a collar and nametag for him the next day, he came back without it on, then the following day he came back with it on again, so obviously whoever he had moved in with took it off to look at but never called us 🙄. But the moral to the story is don’t give up hope, they can surprise you and are very resilient!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I've been going out searching for her regularly but I'm not sure if I can keep that up without any new sightings. I just hope she'll return, the weather's been so bad.

I've not heard of any cats getting run over locally and she's micro chipped so we'd know if a vet had her.

I guess we've to keep waiting 🙏🙏

Thanks for all your sharing, both happy and sad endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

Our lad disappeared for 10 days, returned home in bad shape. I took him to vets where xrsys showed a broken leg and a broken hip. Dunno how he managed to get back in over the walls!. But 4 years on still here. Don't give up hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 PipingProblems

We had a cat disappear for over a month. Had given up on it as although we searched, it was a generic looking ginger cat and most people had seen some sort of ginger cat but may not have been ours. The window was open one day and I heard a noise in the room where the window was. Walked in and there was the cat, making itself comfortable on the folded laundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Pistachio19

One of ours left last April and hasn't turned up since. I have heard of them turning up after a year so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

She's turned up in someone's garden about a kilometre away, she was very shaken due to the bad weather. Lucky someone saw the posters for her!

She's lost her winter fat anyway and is very subdued since she's home, I'm just so happy she's back and safe, I'm not sure how long she'd be gone for if she had to find her own way home.

Have ordered a cat GPS device for future misadventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Wonderful news.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,150 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I moved house, a distance of about 50km from one very rural area to another. I had been in that previous area 12 months. About a week after the move one of the cats - Snowball, a neurotic, elderly black cat - disappeared. We had a look for her and even drove back to the previous place after about a week but no sign. Three weeks later she arrived home - to the new house - thin but absolutely fine. It was late summer so we think she had just decided there was good mousing and to go wild for a bit. We were surprised she found her way back to the unfamiliar house though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Two of mine vanished at the same time. One of my most beloved and my oldest was found months later curled up asleep near the church door, As in gone to cat heaven. We think he walked too far and was trying to get home to me. NB this is a very small island . He has left a huge huge hole. Seventeen years of utter devotion.

When I was in Kerry, Beata cat went missing. I did all the right things. All to no avail. And three months went by... Then I came upon an article re a cat that had got locked into a holiday home when they closed for the winter so I sent emails out

A few days later I was at the gate and saw a black speck in the distance... it got bigger and bigger.... Beata! She was skinny and emotional and sat on me all night telling me all about it.

If there are any homes nearby that get left unoccupied?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Baybay

The wonders of microchipping meant our boy came home this morning! We are thrilled. A lady not so far away had been feeding him for some of the time he was missing & had his chip checked this morning. We are very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Apologies, wrong thread. Deleted.

Advertisement