Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation

Options
  • 13-03-2022 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All

I plan on getting my attic floor insulated soon . I will probably apply for the grant. There is fibre glass insulation there already between the joists. It's about 25 years old.

My question is should the old insulation be taken away and start again or should there just be a new layer laid over what's there in the opposite direction.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Not an expert but my understanding is that any old fibre glass insulation should be removed as it would hinder the efficiency of the newly installed fibreglass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

i am no expert but I had a guy in and he was just going to throw on top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

after 25 years it's probably best to take out the old stuff. Our house was built in 2004 so fairly new, the 100mm yellow insulation between the joists was in decent shape so I rolled out the 200mm knauff attic roll brown insulation the opposite direction. Make sure it's puffed up and not squashed down and it's important not to block the air coming in via the soffits.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Frankie 1

the existing insulation will be of a good quality. Leave it in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clodola

Might be worth looking into the Spray foam with the vent card installed behind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 CantCatchCovid

Frankie 1

Do not use spray foam. 

The Building Regulations (BR) 2019 require Ventilation of the roof void of a domestic dwelling. 

The minimum ventilation requirement are set out in Technical Guidance Document (TGD) ‘F’ Ventilation. - here is the Diagram 11- Ventilation of Roof Voids, from this document- which shows the minimum requirements 

If what you plan to do is not shown here, then do not construct it, as it will not be in Compliance with the Building Regulations. 

Fresh air is wonderful for building materials. Timber with a little extra moisture and lack of ventilation will enable Dry Rot to flourish.

The Building Regulations have 5 purposes, 3 of which are as follows:- Health, Welfare and Safety of persons.

Remember when you are dealing with human beings- and they say “that this is the best thing to do”. 

they never finish the sentence which is as follows:- “ that is the best thing to do for us to take as much of your money as is possible, and do as little as possible”.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clodola

We are all aware of "Buyer Beware", what was allowed to go on in the past / zero accountability / zero consumer recourse , quick cash pop up companies government grants attract, a consumer to find themselves a few years down the line in an expensive financial hole, products used not fit for purpose and dangerous in some instances, pop up companies dissolved

What I do not comprehend ,

Why does a governing body like SEAI , provide grants for products if they cannot adhere to building regulations?

ICYNENE SPRAY FOAM -- alleged only certified foam in Ireland (BBA, BDA, ETA Approval) , Agreement Certification to Irish building regulations

Agreement Certification to Irish building regulations , to me comes across as a vague statement, no idea the merits of Agreement Certification , as for the certs , no idea if any of this is worth the paper it is written on

Other companies pushing Spray foam indicate a vent card will meet the ventilation needs of the roof

Comes back to SEAI, do they test , signoff on the products they advise home owners to use , at a minimum I would expect these products adhere to building regulations , why do they allow these companies to mislead people in to thinking the product is fit for purpose

Then again , that would require Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland to link in with Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage 

I can only come to the conclusion the whole sector is once again full of misinformation, no regulation, concrete certification , adherence to building regulation

Clodola

You will give yourself a hernia trying to comprehend and understand these organisations.

With all the new Expert Insulation Fitters and the new Individual home energy upgrade grants (Better Energy Homes) god help the homeowner (victims), in a few years, we will end up with similar problems as in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Sometimes the old stuff sags and you get old spots on the perimeter. Ideally you'd use a thermal camera to identify this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

Clodola

NSAI Agrément is responsible for Agrément assessment and certification. Formerly the Irish Agrément Board (IAB), it now operates as part of NSAI (National Standards Authority of Ireland). NSAI Agrément issue technical certification for new and innovative products and processes in building and materials technology

Agrément certification is designed specifically for new building materials, products and processes that do not yet have a long history of use and for which published national standards do not yet exist. NSAI Agrément assesses, specifies testing, and and where appropriate, issues Agrément certificates for such products.

the above description of what an agrement cert is , was taken from NSAI website . which is Irelands certifier . the cert sets out the way a new product can be installed in a building to comply with building regulations, with regard to your question about spray foam there are 5 or 6 certified products certified but they all look for a vent card to be used under the felt /membrane BBA is the British board of agrement which sets out how a product can comply with UK building regs

Most people working on site in the Construction Industry, probably never heard of NSAI Agrément or Agrément assessment and certification.

Most of them probably know very little about the very complicated Building Regulations.

God help the public with the Expert Insulation Installers (with zilch Insurance) who are going to advise Homeowners in relation to the new Home Energy Upgrade Grants, and subsequently carry out the works.

Assigned Certifiers must ensure that buildings works comply with the following:-

Assigned Certifiers must only comply with the Irish Building Regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

Thanks for the info..

Very Interesting.

Post edited by me4many on

Advertisement