Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of live music venue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Saw Paul Weller and the frames in the south in tramore.

Long gone I think

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tis long gone unfortunately, enjoyed weller, but never warmed to the venue, seemed to be more so designed for dj's. one of my favorite metal bands was suppose to play there before it shut

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

There’s a Manchester night scheduled for set theatre Kilkenny (smiths, stones roses etc) and Kerbdog are playing the Crown, Wexford. Waterford definitely seems to have dropped of the radar! I’d be interested to hear what the set theatre is like and if it’s worth a spin as they seem to have a few nights lined up that would be of interest. If anyone has been you can pm me as it’s not my intention to derail this thread promoting events in surrounding counties 👍

Post edited by Rainbow_brite on

quickly googles dog gig!

edit: any details on that wexford gig, cant seem to be able to google it?

• Advertisement

With the college surely they could be a small venues like dolans Cyrus Avenue?

Saw the lathums in limerick last week..they were fabulous..

Yep they may see this and play Waterford next 😂

• Advertisement

you never know 😂 …Wilt played in WIT a number of years ago!

totally agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,893 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tower Hotel has a decent sized 'ballroom that is/can be used for gigs. Same with The Woodlands but we do need a few actual gig venues

The Factory Nightclub is an option but will they host bands or just stick to the DJ sets

Big gig goer myself and would be nice to have a few gigs here without having to travel hours on a bus

wont happen unfortunately, we ll just have to keep doing the journeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

All day mod and soul live dj event in electric avenue/market bar happening on the 14th. Tenner in. Get a wristband and come amd go as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

The loss of the forum was bad for Waterford tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

As a venue it was fantastic,even though the last few years,it seemed to put all the bands upstairs.Is it the Waterford curse,that the bands wouldn't come here because they weren't pursued by a promotor,or that they wouldn't come because there wasn't the audience???

With no similar venue on the horizon,I guess we will never know if things have improved here.

St Pats seems to be the way forward,was there last Friday for an album launch,and yep,if you could get a bar licence it could be a runner...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

Pre Covid I went to a few gigs in St Pat's Gateway. Lovely venue. They sold wine, soft drinks etc. If they could arrange a BYOB licence it might even work. Its pretty central it being near the centre of town. Probably on a par size-wise with Cyprus Avenue but a much nicer setting having once been a church. Great acoustics. Subterranean Sounds also get some really decent names to play upstairs in Grimes. That said Grimes is a bit too small. The Theatre Royal is also a fab spot too [Mercury Rev, Badly Drawn Boy pre covid] - The TR is a mini seated Olympia. Between it and St Pat's I reckon Waterford could attract any passing tours. All it needs is a promoter willing to do do. So we are not doing so bad after all. Thing is people never really supported a bigger venue like 'South' in Tramore together with the bands it brought in simply because it was a minor inconvenience to travel the 7 miles in/out the road! Such is the dichotomy of the Waterford mind. They'd have to plant it right in the middle of town before anyone could be arsed going!

• Advertisement

I was told by a promoter that the reason bands don't come here is because Waterford people font really support live music, also the smaller venues like theatre royal etc would have to charge over the top prices to cover the costs of getting the names to play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

I just looked up the upcoming events for Theatre Royal and there does seem to be a lot of music events, but most are tribute bands etc. Suggests there is demand but of the conservative kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

There's a few gigs lined up for the back of the Theatre Royal, mostly local bands. Backstage@TheRoyal its called and will be running through July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Outside the very core of the biggest cities, nightlife is dying in Ireland. Overregulation, and heavy handed covid policy played a significant role.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

TBH I'd somewhat agree with that promoter. South never really took off despite Vince Power [Mean Fiddler] & the late John Reynolds [POD/Electric Picnic/ATN] being directors at the time. If big guns of the industry LIKE THAT couldnt make it work than there's some truth to the perception of the locals of not supporting such ventures. Most people who are into their music generally travel to see who they want. Dublin's not that far away by bus/train/car. I've been up to the Olympia/3arena a few times this year already. Besides you usually see the same heads at local gigs anyway. People who love their music. Saying that we do have All Together on our doorstep which brings a decent eclectic line up. Looking back The Forum was probably the closest thing we had to a Cyprus Ave/Roisin Dubh. The Roxy wasnt bad in its day either when Bruno Browne brought a decent few bands in. Mick O'Keeffe also tried something similar with Electric Ave.

You're right..not that they would ever need it,but sometimes I always felt that Geoff's would've been the ideal place to put on gigs.Bang in the center of town,full of (ahem) poseurs and it could've certainly rivalled Whelan's,but it would be on a par with what Cleeres have in Kilkennyat present ,they have the bar all day and then an established band possibly playing two to three nights a week..but alas,they never needed to go down that road.One could hope that the former Alywards(wander inn) could be turned into some kind of riverside bar/gig venue..

The old adage "if you build it,they will come" doesn't seem to apply to Waterford,as you mention people will happily travel to Dublin or cork to a gig,but won't venture when it's on our doorstep... we're a strange bunch indeed!!!

what overregulation would that be? and heavy handed! this isnt china!

Case in point being Daytripper. People were moaning about the price of a ticket saying I'm not paying that to watch a band down town and yet the same bands were playing standalone gigs in Dublin for a more expensive ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,893 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The WIT Arena (or whatever its called now) has potential to be used for music events

There was an agreement with residents that no concerts will take place in the Walsh Park when its redeveloped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Early closing hours, rules against drinking outside, bans on street drinking, insurance, bans on happy hours and MUP. I don't know the sector well but there are many things to mention.

Advertisement