Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help setting up eircom.net account in Outlook client in MS 365

Options
  • 09-03-2022 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I am trying to setup an eircom.net email account in Outlook on Microsoft 365 on a Win 10 laptop.

I took the recommended POP and SMTP settings from the EIR site: https://www.eir.ie/support/webmail/external-client-setting-outlook-windowsmail-applemail/

The words they use don't exactly match the settings screen options in Outlook (see attached settings screen)

I know the Eircom ID and password are correct because I can view the email on the EIR Webmail site.

I have tried all combinations of settings without any success. Outlook seems to be happy with the POP settings but won't accept the SMTP settings.

Anyone have Outlook client accessing eircom.net email? If so I would appreciate a copy of the settings used.

MOTF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Are you paying for the eircom email account?

If not they did away with free access a while back.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/so-you-still-have-an-eircom-net-email-here-is-what-you-need-to-do-1.4165439

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭manofthefora

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭sundodger5

You might have to use your broadband providers smtp setting.

I have had this before. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Are you on eir broadband?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Yes, broadband provider is EIR.

BUT - I am not at home now doing this laptop setup. So the EIR SMTP cannot verify that I am a customer by simply looking at the incoming line.

It must do so by checking my email address and its associated password. Both of which I provide.

I really need someone who uses Outlook to access eircom.net when not at home!! (like, it's a portable laptop)

I know that email providers will only send messages for verified customers.

MOTF

You'll only be able to use Eir's SMTP server on the Eir network. That's the issue. You need to set the SMTP server to something on the network you're on now.

Hi there. Thanks for that. Your interest much appreciated.

BUT, it makes no sense. I'm on a portable laptop. I need to send emails. From anywhere.

You're saying (well, EIR is!!) that I can't use their SMTP server unless I am at home on their network. Is that true?

I need some SMTP server which will send emails for me!! But what server would do that? For free!!!!!

MOTF

You're saying (well, EIR is!!) that I can't use their SMTP server unless I am at home on their network. Is that true?

Correct. It's quite common for ISPs to enforce that on their email services. You can do a web search for open/public/free SMTP servers to find one that will accept connections from any location.

But in reality, switch to a proper email provider. ISPs providing email services is a legacy of the early 90s internet. None of them want to have an email service, and they will continually make it harder and harder to avail of it, until sooner or later, they will just switch it off and hope nobody will complain too much.

You might think it's difficult to switch email addresses if you've had it for any meaningful length of time, but (a) it's not that difficult, and (b) imagine trying to do it if you no longer have access to your current email: there is every possiblity that some critical part of Eir's email infrastructure will just keel over and die, and Eir will decide it's not economical to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What really makes no sense is using poor Eir service for mail when there is free mail providers or way better paid providers.

As for "for free" - here is how to migrate your eir to:

Outlook.com

Gmail.com

It might be painful at the start, but it gets better...

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for those comments and advice.

I failed to point out that I am doing this work for a friend. Rebuilding a laptop with a failed HDD. He wants the environment he knows and loves. Despite using a laptop I realise that in fact he never takes it outside his home. So, to get his email working again I must visit his home and be on the EIR network.

I agree that web based email is the way to go.

But the complexities of persuading another person to change their decades-long old email address (embedded in hundreds of sites) is too much for me.

Thanks again

MOTF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I'd disagree that "web-based email is the way to go". A desktop client is a far superior experience so you should still use outlook if you have it (or Thunderbird etc if not). But just use a proper email provider like gmail etc. Not only is it vastly superior, but it is free!

In terms of switching, there is no reason that one can't use both for a while. Simply start off by updating the main sources of email to the new address. If eir has the ability to automatically send a response, then set one up directing people to the new email address (if required). Gmail also has the ability to monitor and import any email from other providers (but, again, eir may be so old and decrepit, that may not work). Then use the new gmail account (via outlook) for all "sending" while checking to see what emails are still coming in from the old eir address. If important emails are still being sent to the eir account, update the source. Over time, you will find less and less important email going to the eir account (leaving only the spam) and you can then eventually close it.

EDIT: just noticed smuggler's post above which links to details about how to do this.

I have two clear web email accounts on Outlook. First is a hotmail legacy a/c because I set that up before Gmail became available. I keep signatures on each “Alternate email account is xxxxxx” in case one service falls down.

Thank you for those comments.

While I understand and agree with what you say, I am not about to lead a third party (with zero tech savvy) through the email changing process.

I'll take his laptop to his home and ensure that the SMTP server works from there on the EIR line. I hope.

I should add that I am no fan of EIR. I have had nothing but bad experiences in dealing with them.

Stay well

MOTF

Advertisement