Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to identify old glass bottles

• 09-03-2022 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I found a lot of old glass bottles around the property and I am trying to identify their age or former purpose.

It's probably just old alcohol-related bottles but is there a source/way of telling how old they are?

I saw some graphics to help identify the area due to the tops but not 100% sure since the bottle doesn't look too similar compared to the graphics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It looks like a food-related bottle, sauce or essence of some kind.

Doesn't look the right shape for a baby whiskey bottle, beer bottles are usually coloured to prevent light spoilage and poison bottles are usually coloured and textured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Skerries-Rock-Art

It probably contained some kind of stomach pills(bicarbonate or similar) or a food-essence or flavouring. Realistically its impossible to tell without a label as there were so many products sold in bottles and jars.

It probably dates from 1900-1930.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I love old bottles, a pair of waders and polaroid sunglass are handy when the waters really low in easily accessible river's in town's especially during the summer. I've come across really interesting bottle's one even had old pub names embossed on it. Found a few clay pipes too.

Advertisement