Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To hell with the internal combustion engine....where's me bike?!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I hate cars, always have and always will. I've had a company car for 3 years even though I don't really need it. The lease expired last year but there wasn't a direct replacement available due to lack of supply so I've been switching between short term hire, or one of the EVs we have. Next week I'm going to start cycling to work again on one of my road bikes. 26km each way, though I usually take a detour on the way home, with a really lush, long detour on a Friday along the river Barrow. For me, it's a no brainer. I can justify spending money on top quality clothing, and the sheer joy of getting miles in 1st thing in the morning is one of life's simple pleasures!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I love my car and love driving but you can't beat the feel good buzz after cycling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Why not strike a balance and get a Honda 50 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I need to start cycling to the office again now that I'm back in the office 2 days per week, can anyone recommend a decent pannier pack and bag(s) to fit a change of clothes and laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

@Ferris Now you mention it, I may revisit that. I had looked at front hub, but maybe a rear hub motor may work. I'm not entirely comfortable that they're not pedal assist so not legal (and don't appear to be speed limited either). So I do have a suitable bike, probably just about handy enough, but not sure I'd risk it. Pedal assist will be gone with the ppt legislation, assuming hub motors can be speed limited.

I have a tortec rack iirc. I've used an altura bag the last few years with no issue and not enough issue to justify an Ortlieb. I have a hybrid device for work - i picked up a hard shell case thing on Amazon for it (which as it turns out fits inside my IAMRUN box with my clothes at a squeeze).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

decathlon have a good range at the moment. my wife just got a decent bag which looks like a large handbag but mounts onto a carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

If it’s literally just a change of clothes and laptop, would you consider a backpack? I use one of these, there’s a larger version too:

I did panniers for years and wouldn’t go back, I find this much handier. If you’re wedded to panniers, I’d get something by Ortlieb. Totally waterproof and hard wearing. Although my own are Altura and I’ve never had an issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

They are pedal assist, it’s just cadence based rather than torque sensing. It’s the only way I’d go as I need the exercise. I’ve been reading up on controllers and some can simulate torque sensing and you can even get torque sensing bottom brackets to work with a hub motor. I actually think the decathlon bike has that setup.

I use a 17l Thule shield pannier. It has a laptop pocket and is compact enough to be carried into an office. It’s excellent quality too. I did backpack for two years with a proper Oxford backpack but it gave me shoulder pain and the sweating under was uncomfortable, I’d never go backpack for commuting again, rack and panniers are essential imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I'm sure I've a pair of altura panniers somewhere. Probably need a clean and a spray of fabsil to rewaterproof them. Orange in colour. Free to a good home.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭uponthegad

I'm still revisiting the idea of converting with a rear wheel hub motor - any one point me in the direction of where to look? Was looking at amazon, but really getting into the "workhorse" territory when you add the battery. Aliexpress or elsewhere? The idea of a one way cycle for exercise, coast home is growing on me to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Theres a chap from Kerry, based in Dublin, trades as Extreme E-bikes Ireland on FB.

Supplies and/or installs home conversion kits; compliant ones for use on public roads and non-compliant ones for off-road use...

He should be able to advise, according to your requirements.

Have a look at https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ or www.pedelecs.co.uk for background. They seem to buy from Aliexpress or, more frequently, from Chinese retailers like https://bmsbattery.com/ or https://pswpower.com/. I’m not an expert by any means and am still doing my research but the q128 hub motor seems to fit my needs. If you would rather have good support https://wooshbikes.co.uk/ seem to be very customer focused and not too expensive.

Thanks - pswpower looks fairly reasonable. There seems to be a drop your bike in and get it done place in Inchicore too. I definitely need more research anyway before committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

mybike.ie for a conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

myebike .ie

typo

Advertisement