Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting owner driver trucks.

Options
  • 08-03-2022 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone. hope your all good in these weird times. I am very interested in starting as an owner driver rigid or arctic. i have driven rigids in the airport for several years as part of a previous job but havnt on main roads. Im 39 with 20yrs car driving experience in ireland and all over europe. . i work from home 2 days a week and its very flexible. i need a second income stream. for 3 or 4 days a week. i would like to buy a truck and operate it picking up loads. i am considering all options and i have enough money put aside for an affordable truck and any further training required. the more casual the work the better i would be happy to work one or two days one week and 4 or 5 days the next dependent on demand.

what vehicle should i be aiming for? what type of loads and contracts should i aim for? is this even feasible on a part time basis? i would be willing to loan out my truck on days im not using it if money could be made this way too. any advice is welcome. i currently have a rigid license.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

First up you would need to sit the transport manager CPC pass that then apply for a haulage licence, Then you would need to sit the drivers CPC 5 in total then get a digi tacho card.

I take it you were driving catering/cleaning trucks in the airport so you would have been exempt from all of the above, Transport and trucks is an expensive business with fuel being the major expense, Also driving on the open roads is a lot different than driving around the ramp.A lad I work with did the owner driver thing with a ridgid truck and he jacked it in to go driving for the company I work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Renting out the truck on your off days will be the end of it. Being rented, it'll be dogged and abused and all you'll get from it is repair bills.

This is not worth doing unless you go all in at it full time. Purchasing the truck and all the tax, insurnace, training and licencing fees, CVRT, etc will all still need to be paid.

Nowadays, the only way that trucks can be made pay for themselves is to have them going pretty much non stop with 2 drivers on shift. And that is to cover the costs, never mind profit.

You will regret this. Don't do it.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

If you are not already in the haulage game in one way or another then you will find it very difficult to get business unless you have contacts and certainly there would be very little going when you only have a few days to go at it, a lot of places would require 5 days service, some even 6. There are plenty of established outfits out there that would provide extremely stiff competition. With the price of fuel at the moment I would say stay away.

Advertisement