Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges for dropoff and collect to be imposed in Dublin airport

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not security's job to prevent him boarding a plane without a boarding pass.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any European city of ~2m people is likely to have 4-6m in their airport catchment area, most of which won't have another airport either. Madrid for instance.

It really isn't uncommon at all. Having loads of airports is uncommon and we already have a huge number of them

At once stage in the past two decades, every county with a Atlantic coastline except Leitrim had an airport with flights to the UK (Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Kerry, Cork - and Waterford if you want to keep going).

Having a regional airport with multiple transatlantic flights is uncommon (particularly when there's a much busier airport without); and Northern Ireland having three commercial airports for such a small land area and population is also uncommon - Dublin serving the bulk of the country is the one thing that is not uncommon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The plans have now been scrapped.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2023/06/15/news/dublin_airport-3352840/?fbclid=IwAR0h8JG9vp_E2hp99eeKRi2J2r_r-AGcvtGR-ARazggG2AFs6BjrH9geLpI

Also, a few months back I had posted that I was under the impression that the plans were to be the same as cork, but I was wrong. From statements from DAA hidden in some press articles (politicans were also quoted as saying similar but for someone whose main skill is attending funerals and shaking hands, I tend to ignore what they say) the plan was to charge for anyone coming to the main airport grounds, and if you wanted to drop for free you would have needed to drop to the long term car park miles away. Crazy to even come up with that sort of a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Great to see the right decision was taken eventually. If they did go for a system like Cork airport, I doubt this thread wouldn't have been half as long, it serves a purpose other than just making money and inconveniencing everyone.

Having two airports in Dublin would be a terrible idea. But it's interesting to see the completely clueless articles pop up in the media every year or so. "Baldonnel should be Dublin's second airport". "We should build a new international airport in Arseholeofnowhere, Co. Midlands." 🙄

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why do small cities not much bigger (and in some cases smaller) than Dublin have two airports?

Poor planning mostly. Something we actually avoided.

Also Milan's metro population is a lot closer to that of Ireland's than it is to Dublin's. Several other cities on the list have a city airport and a larger airport far outside the city - a problem we've avoided by the location of Dublin Airport.

Legacy issues mainly. Many countries had old airbases which became disused and some bright spark thought would make a great airport. Belfast City airport is the former airstrip of the plane manufacturer Shorts.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement