Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Heating Issue *please help*

Options
  • 05-03-2022 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My mum recently had the majority of the radiators and pipes replaced as it’s an oldish house and was leaks etc. Since then the radiators will not heat up from the central heating system. They will heat in parts, different ones different times, totally randomly. They have all been bled and balanced multiple times. However, there is also a stove with a back boiler and when we light a decent fire the rads all heat up perfectly, every time. Is this some kind of a pump issue or something? The plumber doesn’t seem to know what to do and wants to dig up a load more pipes. The system heated perfectly before, just was to be updated because of leaks. I would really appreciate any suggestions of any other things to try first. The house has been freezing since November and I just want to help my poor mum!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

So the radiator heat up from back boiler but not from boiler? Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dbear

Yes, exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Ok, now in my house the boiler is on a different pump to the back-boiler/stove. Do you have separate pumps?

If the boiler is going is the water temp right? also are the water pipes red hot from the boiler but not from the pump? e.g. the pump is not pushing the water away from the boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

There will or should be two pumps, also 2 non return valves to stop the water re circulating to the "off" heat source, looks possibly like the NR valve on the gas/oil boiler is stuck open, it will look like this (below), give it a tap of a hammer, might just reseat it until replacement.

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes they are separate pumps. Water gets super hot sometimes when heats been on awhile. Not sure about pipes. Not there now to check but can tomorrow. If they are like that, it would show it was was the pump then and would be worth trying replacing that?

• Advertisement

Brilliant, I’ll give it a go, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Should have said that its the NRV on the stove that may be stuck open, easy to test, switch on the oil/gas boiler and after a few minutes (assuming stove Off) feel the pipes at the stove, these should stay cool/cold.

Is it a gas or oil fired boiler?, if an oil fired boiler then you will be able to see the pump, ensure its running, if it has LEDs take a close up photo of it and post it, if a pump problem then the boiler will only fire for a minute or two and then cut out for another few minutes. If a gas boiler then if not a pump problem it should stay running continuously so watch for this, the pump may be external but unlikely, if so take a photo of this and post.

That’s what it was! Valve replaced now and all sorted. Thank you so much!!

Advertisement