Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 delerium1

As most of their TDs are Dublin based, I think it's 8, that 7% number does not tell the whole story. I know that the Green lost their expences in our constituency polling just2%. Doubt they have much joy in the rural and farming areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Does anyone have the number for the Energia retention team, not the renewals team?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Dear Customer,

Our electricity rates will be decreasing by 15% from 1st March 2023. The reduction is as a result of a decrease in the cost of wholesale energy prices which impact electricity prices. Exact changes will vary depending on your current price plan and usage pattern. Please find your new rates here.

As your energy partner, we are committed to helping you and your business manage any changes to your energy costs. We will continue to keep our prices under constant review.

Please visit our Business Support HUB here for the latest information on government supports, SEAI grants and energy saving advice.

With secure and immediate 24/7 access to your business account(s), our Business Online portal can generate detailed reports that allow you to manage your costs, better understand your energy usage and view your bills online. You can register for Business Online here.

If you have any further queries, our business support team is here to help. You can contact us on 1800 372 787 (9.00am – 5.30pm, Monday - Friday) or email business@electricireland.ie.

Yours sincerely,

Dermot McArdle

Head of Business Markets

I just received this email from Electric Ireland. It's for a business account.

I wonder will they follow suit in the domestic market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

They get you every which way, if you try and save/economise using less electricity as every campaign advises they slap you with a "Supplementary Standing Charge" doubling the existing standing charge. How does it cost them so much more to deliver less electricity on existing fixed infrastructure.

Criminal how standing charges were allowed increase inline with unit rates which are at least market driven.

yes it is annoying for sure. I was checking the price of units from 2019 and the standing charges, and its four times more expensive now on both. Its incredible how wild such an essential market can be.

I upgraded my gas boiler to an A rated energy efficient boiler. I'm using less gas then ever but paying more than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

That has really annoyed me too! Cut down my gas usage (LPG tank) cos you know cost and the government ads continually telling us too, not that they were my main motivation and lo and behold I now end up on a higher cost per unit because my usage has decreased! It's very unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

So they've hedged different prices for business customers... 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Has anybody ever had issues getting a copy of their contract? I have switched to a pinergy EV plan as great FIT of 25cent and 7.75 between 2-5am, where ove 90% of our energy is used. THe disadvantage is their level paying thing. I've emailed a few times asking for a copy of my contract as I'd like to see the formula for level pay calculation for example to ensure my FIT credit is acknolwleged. They give me a link to the T&C's on their website, but that's not my contract witht them It has loads of things relating to prepay accounts for example. Is it just me or is it very odd to be told you are in a contract but that you can't see what contract you are in? I'm no legal boffin but surely they can't hold you to a contract that they wo'nt show you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭raxy

I'm on level pay with energia. They don't use a formula. When I signed up they set it way too low so I had a big negative balance, then they over compensated & I ended up with a big credit balance. I just requested a refund of 275, my balance is ~,+300 again a month later & I got a letter saying they are raising it.

They really don't seem to have a clue. Will be switching soon so will get a big refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭sonyvision

I have noticed alot more adds appearing for switching in recent weeks. On the SSE airtricity website I see welcome credit of 150 euro and 10% discount. Other tarrifs are 15%. Standards rates are still high but it could be the start a reducing pricing over the coming weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

That would be perfect timing as my contract with Energia (~40% off unit rate) is due to run out in 1-month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

mines out next week, will be switching to SSE but it will be a painful increase overall (going from a 40% to a 15% discount, and essentially 300% the rate I signed up for last year). If better discounts start to become available later in the year I'll probably consider paying the €50 break fee if it makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Good timing for you! I'm on eletric Ireland at 14% discount. I would suspect this is the start off bigger discounts before unit rates are reduced in an attempt to get customers to switch. I wouldn't be surprised if other big players followed the game.

Not sure if it's the same for you but I renewed with energia last year. The first bill I got had no discount. I called to complain (at the time they told me the next bill would correct it but it didnt). They told me I'll get 12 months of discount so even though my contract ended this month I'll have the 40% discount for my next bill too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Only a matter of time before the €50 break free gets doubled or trebled or some other clause gets inserted in contracts to make breaking them early unattractive. Wort reading carefully the T&C's some of them are quite vague and not easily found on provider's literature.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The regulator for energy is asleep at the wheel, of course the break fee can go up unchecked if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭con747

Asleep at the wheel is an understatement I'm afraid.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭doc22

Energy suppliers would pocket that and have no pressure to drop prices....

so, would I be right in thinking that cutting down on the use of electricity would have the same effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭daheff

likewise. ongoing discussion with energia whereby i had an overpayment on my account of ~800 eur at one stage (partly due to the energy credit).

i asked for the overpayment to be returned. they point blank refused to do so. then they would only do it if i sent them a picture of my meter. I told them that they can take payment without meter readings so they can also make a refund without a meter reading. REsponse was that this was for my own protection!! incase i ended up in a negative account balance. I should contact retentions team to look at my plan...blah blah BS.

eventually they have refunded me ~400 eur. I'd have left them already only for there aren't any worthwhile deals out there at the moment. as soon as there are...energia can suck it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

"... they can take payment without meter readings so they can also make a refund without a meter reading..."

That's good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭Villa05

Electric Ireland cutting prices by average 10% for f,,,,,,,,g sme's

I'm going back to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Not for us sadly

"Electric Ireland will reduce its electricity tariffs for small and medium enterprises in the Republic of Ireland by an average of 10% from next month.

However, the energy company said it is very difficult to project the trajectory of residential electricity and gas prices but it will continue to keep rates under review."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Did you choose to be on "level pay" or was it a requirement of the plan you are on. I seem to recall that the last time I was with Energia it was optional & I didn't opt for it.

I'm pretty sure it was a requirement when we signed up. I don't mind being on level pay, it's handy for planning as you don't get surprise large bills. I just don't understand how they can be so bad at calculating the amount.

Are any of the suppliers doing deals over the phone these days to keep the customer? Is 15% really the best you can get??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭Daith

Got my last bill. Hopefully that'll be the worst of it.

Am tempted to move a smart plan with a free weekend option but very annoying it can't be moved back to regular meeting plan.

I rang Energia and 10% was as much as they would offer so I'm off to SSE. It's about €300 saving over the year for gas and electricity but hopefully the standard rates will start to come back down in the coming months.

As an aside I looked at the Smart Meter rates (as I have one) and they're still terrible value, only really worth considering if you have an EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

Electric Ireland's site is down so often, I wouldn't be surprised if it's on purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Got offered 18% discount off bord gais retention team 39.5c per unit including vat if i remember correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was just on it, it's fine!

Is that gas? Flogas fixed is a third of that. If it's electricity, I got an EI deal through bonkers.ie last autumn at 26.2c per unit, went up to 37.21c but it's still cheaper than you've been offered

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

That's electricity will check EI couldn't find better when I looked, contract up this month currently on 40% discount. No hope of getting anything like that now unfortunately

cheapest I can see for EI at the moment is 40.9c; I've just signed up for SSE at 41c but their gas price is cheaper so cheaper overall than splitting the services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

I swapped to SSE airtricity a few days ago to their '15% off standard rates' dual plan.

Elec Ire called me to to try and retain me. Their offer:

Electricity: offer 43.2c -> 38.9c

Gas: offer 14.6c -> 13.01c

My usage is about average annual usage, electricity 3000kwh, Annual gas is 12000kwh.

Anyone know if its worth staying, or even haggling them down further? EI reckon their standing charges are about the same. Also, which one is more likely to drop prices in a few months time?

I stuck your figures into my spreadsheet and I make it total annual cost with SSE: €3,259; Total with EI: €3,421 (EI's standing charges are higher)

As to who is more likely to drop prices, who knows - they tend to all follow each other anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Thanks for this. EI seem to be just beating the SSE unit rate and think that is enough for people to stay with them.

What standing charges do you have for EI? I can see SSE are €240.97 and €152.31

https://www.sseairtricity.com/assets/Tariffs/ROI/Current/1YR-DF-15-15.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Just looking at chaning/renewing my electricity plan. I was with Bord Gais with 32% discount, which just expired at end of January.

If I renew online with Bord Gais, I can get 15% discount so (Day:43.77,Night:32.32,Peak:53.29)

I was looking at Electric Ireland and they have a night boost plan. (Day:43.68, Night:21.55, NightBoost:12.65)

It states;

2. Energy kWh unit rates will be charged under the following three time periods:

Day kWh rate is applicable to usage between 08:00 - 23:00 everyday

Night kWh rate is applicable to usage between 23:00 - 08:00 everyday (excluding Night Boost times)

Night Boost kWh rate is applicable to usage between 02:00 - 04:00 everyday

Is it a mistake on the website, or is there actually no Peak rate on this plan?

If no peak rate, this will work out nearly 900 euro cheaper than the plan I can switch to on Bord Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭herrdood

Question: Say unit rated come down. Will everybody , whether signed to a plan or not, benefit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭Villa05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

In the same boat here. Was with Energia up until February, at one stage was over €800 in credit. With EI now but Energia are dragging their feet with my credit refund which now stands at just over €350. It was suggested to me to take a clear picture of my meter showing its serial number while holding a clipping from a newspaper of the day ....... told them exactly what I thought of that and the conversation ended there. Now chasing up through the online option but its been 3 days since I emailed them without a reply. How are they allowed to get away with this crap.

Lesson learned, avoid level pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Just looked at this plan myself, the night boost plan doesn't have a peak rate but standing charge is dearer on it than the other 2 i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Yea standing charge is 483 vs 380 on standard plan. Just checking my calculations, and I had a slight error, but still working out 9 euro cheaper a year to go on night boost, and then will see what I can actually set to run at 2am to get further savings!! and does mean I don't have to worry so much about usage between 5 & 7.

Note, I use about 7000 kw a year. (I blame the immersion for it being so high)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

These standard rates are crazy high for residential customers, we are being ripped off. I recently renewed a commercial electricity contract for my employer with Flogas and the day rate is 26.2c and night rate is 19c I think. Last year's rate was 34.2c day and 17.9c night. Our usage is over 6000kw a month. Also we are getting between €600 and €700 back each month on the TBESS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

I wouldn't be surprised is the government or someone acting on behalf of the government have approached the energy companies to keep prices where they are. The government need to reduce usage and this is one way of doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Surely if this is part of a drive to reduce usage the government would also be insisting that lower usage attracts reducing standing charges.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I rang them and they said because my credit was from the government payment I couldnt transfer it. I only wanted to move it into the gas bill because, like most dual fuel customers, the gas was the bigger bill during the winter. But no, I have to use it on electricity. So ive reduced my electricity level pay to €5 a month until its used up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement