Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen Not Laying

Options
  • 28-02-2022 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, Relatively new to keeping chickens, bought 3 point of lay pullets at Xmas and they all started laying but recently 1 of them has stopped for a few weeks and has what looks to be diarrhea, any thoughts or suggestions? They have plenty of feed, water and access to fresh grazing, they only diet difference is a few weeks ago we switched from layers mash to the pellets thats the only change I can think off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hens sometimes stop laying, especially in winter. The lack of light affects them seemingly. As for the diarrhoea, try adding some apple cider vinegar to their water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Westarve

At this time of year I always mix Layer's Mash with warm water.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Very little goodness in the grazing at present, so it's more about their foraging habits/"mental health" this time of the year. Hens , as pointed out, are light sensitive. Your ladies may have had artificial light before you had them to bring them into lay and you could find that the others stop for a bit too, so don't worry on that score. The change of diet may well have caused the diarrhea as well and as Westarve said the layer's mash with some warm water is probably best for a while. Once things settle down a bit, you can reintroduce the pellets very gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jenalone

i purchased ISA Brown pullets and white leghorns in August and the ISA BROWNS still laying but the leghorns stopped laying 2 days after i got them and have not laid since and eating as much meal as the ISA BROWNS, thought leghorns were good layers

Advertisement