Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taylor-Catterall Sky Sports Arena 19:00

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jim, Taylor is a pr1ck. And only for such a weak division, as well as him being a fully fledged WW boiling down, he’d be a nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Taylor did nothing in the fight but they get in close and rough Jack up, that was the sum total of what he did for 12 rounds. I'm not gonna give him too much **** for his post fight interview, he had to be over the moon and felt like he slipped the hangman's noose. Fighters are not exactly the best at judging rounds either tbf.

The fight was fought almost exclusively on the challengers terms, he controlled the pace, he had control of the distance and he did the cleaner work throughout.

The decision stinks, it's pretty rare you have that kind of universal condemnation of a decision and it's not like Taylor isn't a golden boy for sky, of course they would want him to win and keep the show on the road but you just can't deny what you saw in front of your eyes, it's Orwellian to suggest otherwise in my view. Don't believe your eyes, believe what we are telling you. I watched it without sound so I only had my eyes to go with but having watched it back with sound the commentary team were useless too which brings me to -

The fight itself was very poor, scrappy, styles just didn't mesh at all and Taylor was utterly dogshit for 12 rounds, I'd say he probably put together 3 good minutes of clean work in the 36.

He needed a stoppage to win after the 10th, I gave him 4 rounds and at that I felt I was being generous in all honesty. A bad night for the sport and one that will live in the memory of the casual fans who tuned in, Frampton summer it up pretty well afterwards. To paraphrase "This **** game, makes you sick sometimes"

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yeh, I wouldn’t at all slate Taylor for post fight interview when asked if he thought he won. They’re silly questions.

The fight was very scrappy and closely fought. Taylor isn’t going to know what real way it went until he watched the tape. He’s too busy fighting in the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I take Walshb's point that its easy to be swayed by the commentary (how macklin earnts a living at that is beyond me) and someone like andre ward with no vested interest in this scores it to taylor.

But there was a lot of people saying catterall took the last 4 rounds off, he still won one of them 10-8 for the point deduction, for me he did enough to take it by 3 or 4 rounds.

And Mack and Moore as thick as thieves as well....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

Rewatched the fight and still can't see how Taylor came anywhere near winning that fight. Daylight robbery.

The judge gave that 114-111 to Taylor needs to be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Investigation launched into the scoring of the bout:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/28/taylor-v-catterall-boxing-investigation-controversial-scoring?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Social media is awash with commentary. Majority saying Jack robbed, but many, like myself not seeing this OTT hysteria about robbery/corruption.

No idea what this investigation is supposed to investigate/uncover. The judges weren't cheating.

Watch the fight: score it based off Ring Generalship/Defence/Clean hard shots and aggression.....

Fight of two halves........1st 6 rounds you absolutely could argue that Taylor bagged a couple rds, unless you were listening to that muppet, Macklin and his 6-0.

Second half: rds 7-12. Taylor had a better second half. Jack definitely had a weaker second half compared to his first half.

Taylor could be argued for 3-4 rounds in the second half.....that is exactly why we had the scores we had....razor close, as well as the three rds where points were "deducted". 10-8 Jack, 10-8 Josh and a 9-9....

Too many folks focusing too much on compubox and landed shots here and there.....there is more to professional boxing decisions than compubox.

Overall I thought Taylor was rubbish in his fight and plan and execution. He gets a grade D-. But a grade A for desire to want to win

Overall I gave Jack a C-, but a C- also for his desire to want to win. He was simply too spoiling and negative and fouling throughout, and it cost him.

Post edited by walshb on

Advertisement