Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine bans men aged between 18 and 60 from leaving the country (due to conscription)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭DeadHand

A moot point really, the Russians will have the job done before any mass mobilisation of citizenry, male or female, can occur.

In any event, what of it? It's not extraordinary to see a nation conscript men to a greater degree than women.

Men, generally and by dint of psychology and physiology, make more effective combatants.

This truth was accepted common sense for the entirety of human history up until the last few wacky decades. It feels bizarre to have to spell it out in an adult context.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

A moot point really, the Russians will have the job done before any mass mobilisation of citizenry, male or female, can occur.

I should probably have put more thought into my initial post as my chief interest is in general issues regarding military service and conscription rather than only what was happening in Ukraine. I think the general issues are more interesting.

In any event, what of it? It's not extraordinary to see a nation conscript men to a greater degree than women.

As I have now clarified, my chief interest is in the general issue.

Very often women haven’t been conscripted directly in the military at all in past wars.

This is even planned into the systems. For example, in the US, only men are required to register https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System

Yet women make up 16% of enlisted forces and 19% of the officer corps (https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/demographics-us-military). In other countries with military service, often only men have to do it despite women having paid roles in the military.

It seems strange that women are suitable for paid roles, but often deemed not suitable for compulsory military service and conscription. 

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Of course the answer is not that women should be conscripted also but that no one should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i honestly believe we should do a year here, the young modern irish man is like Graham Norton these days, metrosexuals with skinny jeans and plucked eyebrows, they'd have a heart attack if someone attacked them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

We can't finance or keep personnel in the defence forces as it is , how on earth do you think we'd manage conscription.

we waste enough money on the junkies keeping them geared up and housed as it is, either inside the joy or a cushy flat, i know you know all about that, there's a start and would bring plenty of cash in, legalize grass and put 20% tax on, plenty of ways to get money back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Historically (from the French Revolution on_, conscription has never been popular and causes problems in terms of social unrest. As well, based on what I've read from modern military thinkers (such as Lawrenece Freedman), mass conscript armies are not viable on modern battlegrounds except as a last gasp of a regieme. While post-conflict having an armed populace would make life difficult for an occupying force (eg the US in Iraq) the Russians have experience from post WW2 on nulliying parisans in Western Ukraine.

Personally if Ireland was invaded like Ukraine was, i'd be the first in the que to join up, and i know alot of Ukraine citizens feel that way. Imagine what would happen here, all the mcgregor wannabees would be on the first plane out of here

In order to repopulate a nation after conflict, you will need more females then male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

You go girl! Women should be conscripited first ..over and above men....who should be kept in reserve over the border. Only fair to right historical gender bias etc...an RTE Primetime special awaits.

Yeah, I'd love to see you last more than 6 months in a cushy flat in Ballybough, Ringsend, Dorset street etc., we'd see then who'd have the heart attack.

I know you know all about that

What does this mean? Cos to everyone else, it looks like you're calling that poster a junkie who's on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mandatory military service is not conscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It will be interesting to see the take up on this. The concept of queuing up for a chance to die for ones country is a bit last century, no?

haha who said i don't live there, and you have a problem with them areas Shifty ?

the two Klitchcos have signed up, one is 45 and the other 50

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a complex question.

In the event of a invasion/capture, an enemy is considerably more likely to keep the women & children alive and execute the men. Therefore in the sense that you're looking to minimise casualties, sending the women away to mind the children and keeping the men to fight is the "optimal" allocation of people. Sending men off with the children and keeping women to fight stands a much greater risk of leaving thousands of war orphans.

That's before you get to the traditional aspect which asserts that mens' role is to fight and protect while womens' is to nurture and raise.

I mean, obviously in the sense that a family has two adults and conscription is required, they should be permitted to choose who goes to fight.

But then you're introducing a bureaucratic aspect to an emergency situation. The country doesn't have two weeks to wait while you debate the matter and fill in your response online. Instead, they take a hardline policy which is, "Take the men".

It's unfair, but it's also war. This is why they say, "All's fair in love and war".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Of course the answer is not that women should be conscripted also but that no one should.

So if an evil dictator, say like Hitler, is about to invade a country and perhaps not just take the land but also kill a lot of the citizens* countries should never have conscription?

*For example for ideological reasons or because it’s easier to be an occupier if you kill people who might be part of a resistance movement

are they doing a lotto for conscription like they did in the usa for Vietnam i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think it's a dig at me , he possibly knows I work with homeless addicts and has managed to make correlation with addicts and conscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

No interest in taking up a trade or any physical work.

Credible reports from an american man that walked to Poland from Lvov, of ukrainian boys men and old men being forcibly conscripted at gunpoint from the refugee columns.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

An interesting counterpoint is from the US in WW2. The needs of the country were such that by the middle of the war, volunteering for the military became prohibited, and conscription was the only point of entry. There were two reasons for it. Firstly, the US didn't want all the experts in industry or agriculture manning a rifle when they could be engineering new gear, so they were refused, and secondly, it meant that you didn't have too many people volunteering for, say, the Navy when the Army needed riflemen or aircrew.

It's to be observed, though, that US conscripts went through the exact same training as regular volunteers (Reservists do as well today). That's a bit different from most nations which use conscription and have specific, often condensed, training regimens for non-Regulars.

conflicted. If I believed in my nation I'd stay and fight and wouldn't need to be conscripted.

If I believed in my nation I wouldn't want to be fighting alongside those forced to fight who are craven or incompetent or stupid or psychologically unbalanced as they would be a danger to me and the successful defence of the nation.

Boards.ie a microcosm of society. Would you want to fight for the nation alongside some of the the types who frequent this place.

Modern Armies are professional armies and don't want to hire the stupid or the unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

and what if you're a coward what if you don't want to fight? Execution?

In America for the Vietnam war these people were forced to help the wounded who came home mentally and physically scarred, and then they were forced to go and still serve their time, harsh or fair you can decide

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Yoozername.

Are you simple minded?

The OP literally acknowledges this. Women aren’t forced, men are.

Women get paid, men are forced to do it.

Women can leave any time they want, men can’t.

You either want equality or you don’t.

If I was an evil dictator would you not just order your army to kill all the women and leave the men alone in the country you invade. A horrible tactic obviously but would that not be most effective?

• Advertisement

So should infertile women be forced to serve? Your post stinks of sexism.

Advertisement