Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored Alarm over VOIP

Options
  • 24-02-2022 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I recently moved into a new house that has no copper phone line to the house only VOIP. Does anyone have experience getting a monitored alarm with VOIP and one the cops are happy with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aWant4aNew

I had imagine broadband and a PhoneWatch alarm system.

As the alarm system had a backup power battery (good for 3 days) and it’s own sim card for data (in the case of an internet outage) there was no problem with the firearms storage requirements.

mind you, the alarm system wasn’t cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DogfoxCork

I have a ring alarm kit with battery backup and a sim card, Super didnt bat an eyelid to it. said it exceeded his requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

You only require a monitored alarm under the following circumstances: Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place.

So further if as above it needs also to be backed up with a GSM module: The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

There is no specification related to a fixed line, and as long as it complies to the above VOIP is fine. However if you are storing less numbers than specified then why bother with the expense of an alarm, however I do believe it is no harm to enhance security of firearms over and above what is required under the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

Recently got rid of phone watch due to their extortionate monitoring and servicing prices (monitoring was going up to over 50 quid a month plus they wanted to charge 22 quid to replace a set of button batteries which I could have done myself).

Got a the ring alarm with motion sensors door contacts etc, above and beyond what phone watch had for the price of their monitoring for 6 months.

The monitoring for alarm and any ring cameras is 10 quid a month and if you have this the built in GSM sim card (on eir) and battery backup will keep it going if your wifi and power goes. A doddle to install. Only bit that may be and issue is climbing a ladder to put the external siren box up and the fact that it uses "assisted" monitoring rather than doing back to a monitoring centre with a human sitting at a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

Careful with this advice: The requirement under the legislation is pretty clear concerning installation and monitoring as follows:

Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place.

In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signaling facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭J.R.

Where I work the alarm is monitored through a VOIP phone.

No bother with Gardaí and insurance company are very satisfied with it.

Never had any bother with it.

Advertisement