Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Babysitters rates

• 23-02-2022 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi just wondering what people are paying for babysitting in the evenings? Also overnights at the weekend? I’ve a toddler and a 6month old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

€50 a hour for overnight, €40 daytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

€50 per hour?!?

• Administrators Posts: 13,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I give a teenager €20-€25 for a few hours at night. For (very occasional) overnights I'd use family! No charge. And I repay the favour anytime they need it.

Do you need a babysitter? I'll do it for €45

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

€25 per day for 2-2.5hrs after school one child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

We'd pay €10 per hour for a babysitter. Have only ever needed one overnight and we paid €150 from 7pm until 12pm the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lisamayy

I earn € 20 per hour 45hrs a week for 1 toddler and have done similar in 2 other jobs over the years.

So I charge €15 per hour at night. I would hope parents are at least paying minimum wage of €10.50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Are you saying you are being paid €900 a week for minding one child? Forgive me, but I find that hard to believe.

• Administrators Posts: 13,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Babysitting isn't the same as child minding and minimum wage doesn't come into it as you don't have an employment contract.

I have had local teenagers babysit and the maximum I have paid for a night (could be 5 hours) is €30. I now have teenagers who babysit and would tell the parents the same thing. €20-€25 a night is enough. And the teenager is usually delighted with the extra pocket money. An adult might charge more. But a sensible local teenager can be a Godsend!

• Advertisement

My daughter used to babysit when she was a teenager, and she used to get €5 per hour before midnight, and €10 per hour after midnight. (or part thereof). Plus taxi fare home (if not dropped off, or walked home).

She wouldn't have been comfortable doing overnights, though was once offered €150 for an overnight - 8pm to 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭enricoh

Must be the abramovitch's nipper she's minding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

If we do something, it's usually a case of get children to bed by 7ish, pick up babysitter at 730, back to our own place and out before 8, and home latest 1030, for 30eur. She makes her own way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

How depressing to hear that you can have a first class honours degree in mechanical engineering with 10+ years experience in 2 multinational corporations and still get paid less per hour than a 16 year old girl...

I'm notifying revenue to come down like a ton of bricks on this faction of 16 year olds. Purely out of spite

Advertisement