Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A3 to A2 with PV

Options
  • 22-02-2022 2:56pm

Hi there,

I purchased a new build A3 (60.11KWh/m2/yr) 3 bed semi D a few years ago. Looking at the BER Advisory report, the only actions advised are a draft lobby (not happening) and thermal/PV solar panels. However, the house does indeed have PV panels - 5 x, south facing. It was the showhouse for the estate so presumably the BER was completed before the PV panels were installed.

Question I suppose is if the PV panels would push it up to an A2 if I got another BER assessment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

More than likely would depending on the size of the panels but I'm surprised they werent included in the initial BER cert. Is heating via a heat pump?

Presumably not the physical size of the panels? Watts? There are 5 panels anyway.

Heating is gas, ventilation is passive.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

If you have gas heating then the PV would have been included to achieve compliance with Part L.

Part L is different to BER though. Indeed, when I snagged the place, there was no inverter - the builders had forgotten to install it and the panels on the roof weren't obviously connected to anything. So the BER report is correct in that there was no PV when it was assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

The BER may have been correct at the time but an updated BER cert should have been provided at time of sale to correctly reflect the property.

The total wattage of the panels will have an effect on the uplift of the BER so it's hard to be certain if A2 would be achieved without carrying out a survey of the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It is possible to get the file of the original report (the XML) from the SEAI and then use DEAP to tweak it and see what result you get. Like a lot of BER reports, it sounds like a weak effort. It is a joke that the report suggested solar panels but nothing about ventilation which is much higher priority.

Vents are mentioned alright. They have covers on them so I don't know what it's about really.

Fan & Vents This dwelling has one or more fans/vents. The fans and vents in this dwelling increase heat loss by allowing heated air to escape but can be important in ensuring adequate ventilation. If there is no cover on the inside of the vents, installing controllable vent covers will allow you to control the air flow through the vents, and so can help reduce heat loss. It is important not to permanently close or cover over air vents as they are required to provide ventilation for the removal of moisture, pollutants and operation of combustion appliances. It is important for safety reasons to have proper ventilation in any room which contains combustion appliances. For further details please refer to publication 'A Detailed Guide to Insulating Your Home' available on www.seai.ie. Cost: Low Impact: Low

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your house is a gas heated property. It needed some form of renewable to pass the BER test and this pass the part l of the building regulation test.

my guess is that the BER had the panels on it, but the tester didn’t get into the attic to check if they were connected.

there’s no way you bought a house without a renewable entered into the system.

There's something wrong somewhere so, because the advisory report says it has none...

Thermal Solar Panels

This dwelling has no solar water heating.

Cost: High Impact: Medium

PV Solar System or Microturbine

This dwelling has no Photo Voltaics (PV) or Microturbine installed.

Cost: High Impact: High

Advertisement