Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of investments have dropped in the last 2 months.

Options
  • 21-02-2022 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi,

Apart the usual and expected ‘investments may fall as well as rise’.

I have just checked the value of my various child savings funds, PRSA and fund investments and see that they taken a fair hit since just before Christmas.

In it for the long haul but just wondering is this due to inflation and/or political situation in Russia.

Anything I should be overly concerned about?

Jos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well if you had a crystal ball , you could make all the right calls - if you cashed out now where would you put your money ? I'm assuming some investments and businesses will be more recession/ inflation proof than others ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭jos_kel

Yeah I know.

Guess it’s just the talk in the media re: inflation and Russia potentially invading Ukraine that’s making me more nervy than usual.

Will run it by my financial advisor anyway.

Just wanted to get general thoughts here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,700 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Think of the plus side, your contribution is now buying more stocks than it did 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If your investments are in an index fund, you'll see all index funds go up and down over the course of their lifetime.

I'm guessing you didn't ask why they went up when they were going up, but the answer to both those questions is market volatility. Zoom out and you'll see the trend is upwards. 2 months period is nothing in a 20 year policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Tech stocks and growth stocks have and still are getting hammered over the last few months. Which brings back the original question what was the reason to invest in them in the first place? has anything changed?

In the stock market, the most important organ is the stomach. Long term, the stock market's a very good place to be. ..

Peter Lynch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pension has taken a massive hit over the last 8 months. Lost 15% of its value.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭techman1

But thats now the problem everyone wanted to get on board that train, tech and growth over the last decade it was only amplified by the pandemic . Now there is way too much money invested in these sectors even after the recent falls, you just have to look at the 2001 dot com bust to see how far tech stocks can fall. So you now need energy, utilities, banks, miners, alcohol, consumer good stocks in your portfolio and less tech and growth to be good to ride this out

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Time to be buying those was 18 months ago not now. I don't see the same returns on these now. Banking maybe some of the profitable ones if they establish proper dividends again but after that I'll not be buying any.

Today I sold Royal Dutch Shell @£2005, (I have sold 75% of my Exxon Mobile stock over a week ago)

I bought more baba $103.20, Meta (facebook) $196 and Intel $44.72. I'm buying these Tech stocks as they are going to get even more profitable over the next 18-36 months, they all have huge moats.

bought about €2200 worth of shares now on depressed values. I don't like potentially profiting from the current situation with War in Europe.

It is not like scooping up shares from Nervous Ninnies during normal times.

Advertisement