Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Edenderry

Options
  • 21-02-2022 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am currently looking to buy my first home. Due to current prices I am looking at places like Edenderry and Longwood. I am hearing mixed comments about Edenderry. Some saying its very rough other saying thats a past problem. Is there any good places and places to avoid or is the town as a hold the place to avoid.

I am looking for a 3 or 4 house. I will be commuting to Dublin half the time. i dont mind bus trips once i can get to work on time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

avoid edenderry.

kip .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,570 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have to disagree with you. Edenderry is an improving town. Yes there are a few rough people around but as long as you mind your own business and do not say anything they leave you alone. There are plenty of lovely quiet estates and areas in Edenderry and the transport links to Dublin and Tullamore are all good.

I have been living there for 15 years and never had any problems.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not a bad location at all for quick access to Dublin

the house prices reflect the condition of the town in my opinion.

i do my shopping there every week , the amount of junkies is outrageous .

numerous reports of needles found on playgrounds, bookies being robbed by junkies , young scumbags killing an old man for no reason .

not a town i would want to be moving to .

the town itself has everything you would need , amenities , facilities etc.

the rest is just a shame ( in my opinion )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,570 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You could say the same with some of them first points you talk about with Dublin.

Yes I agree they had no right to kill that man but that's years ago now and very rare.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

the point with dublin is that people are moving to edenderry to get away from dublin.

nobody will argue that dublin isnt rough, if edenderry is the same then we are all in bother

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tiptop124

People from outside Dublin don't understand Dublin. Unless you grew up there I don't think you can truly know where is ok and where isn't ok.

You could live in ballycragh an absalute shithole the equivalent of athy or stab city or jobstown/ballymun. But literally a 15 minutes walk to knocklyon and you'd be living in an area of posh kids with little crime and huge incomes. You would never see someone from ballycragh in knocklyon and you would never see someone from knocklyon in ballycragh to completely different worlds yet so close to eachother. Like the vast majority of people from outside of Dublin get to live a lifestyle of people in knocklyon but they only pay the price of a house in ballycragh to do so.

I have lived in Edenderry about five years now and I must say it's a lovely area. Lovely people great shops I've been to the nightclub a few times and had good night's. I play for a local sports team aswell everyone was extremely welcoming when I moved here. But ive heard some estates are rough but that's it I've just heard it I've walked through most of them on walk etc never seemed rough or out of place. I mean when living in Dublin a rough estate has smashed glass and children's toys all over the road smashed up cars broken Windows men vomiting at 9am crawling home from god knows where over half the gardens have ridiculously overgrown grass fires for no reason all year lads dealing in the shop like in broad daylight because the gards are terrified to go into the estates. Joyriding ever second night. Fights on the road roaring and screaming constantly.

Like I've not seen anything like that at all in Edenderry it's really a nice area. And there's drugs everywhere in every pub and nightclub in the country from posh Dublin rough Dublin kells Kilkenny Belfast cork it's everywhere if you want to see it you will if you don't you won't.

But I would say well over half of Dublin isn't rough. Think about it. How could you afford a house in Dublin if you were "rough" alot is council housing but way way way less than half. The vast majority of Dublin people are highly educated and skilled professionals and earn a lot of money remember average house price is like 350k that's just in ur average estate semi detached. Go into nicer estates start looking at 5-600k yeh them people aren't rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tiptop124

Lovely area I think some locals don't like us Dublin people moving here so they try scare us off in here 😂 I'm here a couple years now. Everyone is extremely friendly or they are just quite I haven't met any assholes. I joined a local martial arts club as I trained in Dublin and everyone here was extremely welcoming. I comute to Dublin most days and it's grand I start at 8am so miss most traffic. Great shops around. Really have everything here.

I've never had a bad experience so far. There's good and bad everywhere but I've yet to meet the bad. Possibly a bit in the past I've overheard alot of comments saying that foreigners are taking over the place. There's no cinema and while fast food is pretty good you've got supermacs apache pizza and then generic chippers and Asian still missing some McDonald's or dominos that's probably the only negative thing. The racist slurs not the foreigners 😂. Lovely place lovely people lovely house prices. I'd recommend get in while you can

im not trying to scare anyone off, i didnt know where you are from.

Im 20 mins away from the town myself, i couldnt care less who lives there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I moved down here from Dublin with my wife a couple of years ago. Most of my client work is around Dublin and Meath so I do get a pain in my arse with all the driving. That being said, Edenderry has tons of shops and decent amenities. The road up to Enfield is decent, but if you need to go any other direction, the roads are terrible.

It feels safe, and most people are friendly. It's a very obvious mix of Dubs, immigrants, old school locals, etc. Our neighbourhood has zero community spirit, but we've no kids and kinda stick to ourselves so maybe we're part of the problem!

House prices are very competitive down here, though other affordable commuter towns like Monsterevin, Drogheda or Navan might have more to offer, depending on where you work and have roots.

The reasons I could argue against moving to Edenderry have nothing to do with crime, antisocial behaviour etc. I haven't seen that at all. What I don't like are the crappy roads, and lack of places to explore on weekends. You're not particularly near any mountains, the sea, nice lakes or interesting towns, so after you've walked the canal a few times, be prepared to do a lot of driving if you want to do anything interesting at the weekends. Unless you like getting drunk, in which case, there's plenty of options.

The 120 bus service is terrible. There's not much more to say about that. My wife works in Lucan and has been left stranded for hours at that poxy bus stop outside Lucan Spa Hotel more times than I can remember.

Crappy roads aside, there is quite a lot of litter, neglected green spaces, and some very conspicuous abandoned building projects. Derelict houses and shop fronts too.

Nonetheless, I agree with those who say it's on the up. There's plans to sort out that mess of a hotel site over beside Dunnes Stores. The road at Lidl/Certa is being widened and improved. The old Tesco site in town finally got torn down and there's a whole "Blundell Masterplan" thing to jazz up that spot and bring Fairgreen/Greenwood into the mix. Really nice new houses being built at Newberry, Carrick Road, and St Marys.

All in all, a mixed bag, but take sensationalist reports of violence and drugs with a huge pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jambooner

Great town moved here from Dublin and still commuting there for work. It's fantastic place to live it is so peaceful, very friendly people and fantastic shops etc. If you are looking at having to buy in ballymun etc or move out of Dublin because of prices I highly recommend making the move. If edendery was in Dublin the houses that are going for 200k here would be going for 500k in Dublin easily.

The commute is an extra burden it has to be said and you should consider that, but if you don't mind driving for an hour or so before and after work every day you really are getting a 500k house for 200k. Imagine if you could find work locally that suited your career now that would be the perfect package.

I think the reports of crime are ridiculously over exaggerated on this forum. I haven't seen a hint of any kinda of scumnyness and I'm here four years this October. The roads have drastically improved over the last year or two aswell. It's a great place and because it's in Offaly it gets over looked but it's basically Kildare I'd say alot of people haven't heard if it especially people moving from Dublin because usually they search Kildare Wicklow Meath. It's definitely a hidden gem.

I think house prices are going to continue to rise here so I would definitely get in before they do if you can.

Come up have a walk around the Tesco's the Dunnes and the Lidl and town you'll know it's a nice place.

Hope this helps

Advertisement