Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect clearance/VAT charges/Missing IOSS number with An Post/Addresspal ***See First Post***

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Did they put any documentation with it, or try and send it through without going through customs? You might want to check out the forum charter just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

You can be fairly sure that the correct documentation and correct value was not put on it.

There's no such thing as a "private package". If you are sending from the UK to Ireland the goods need to be detailed with taric code and value.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Atrides

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Did you get anywhere with appealing this, I’ve had this happen before and happening now. 30€ vat and charges on a 62$ purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

No, I was told that was the rule, that Vat is applied on full retail value and not on sale price. Paying an extra 50% sucks, sorry you got stung :/

Seems like a ridiculous rule.

• Advertisement

Hmm, the definition of ‘retail value’ rather than the rrp or label price is up for debate I guess, but as you say probably won’t get anywhere with them. Bit of a law unto themselves really.

“The value of goods used for customs purposes is usually the transaction value, that is the price actually paid or payable for the goods. This is the invoice price plus the cost of transport and insurance. It also includes any other payments made or to be made for the imported goods.

Valuation methods

There are six methods of valuation that apply in hierarchical order. If method 1 (transaction value) cannot be used then you should use the next method and so on:

1. The transaction value method.
    2. The transaction value of identical goods.
    3. The transaction value of similar goods.
    4. The deductive method.
    5. The computed method.
    6. The residual valuation provision.

If you need further information see the customs manual on valuation.”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Discounts are supposed to be allowed, since a change in the last few years. The rule wasn't ridiculous - it was set up to make sure related companies charged full price for products, and could justify discounts, which preserved competition in the market. It obviously became an issue for consumers with the advent of online buying, but I'm surprised they dropped it as unscrupulous sellers could just discount it 99% on the invoice, while charging you full price.

I've had a couple of issues with them now over the years, from parcels being returned to their location without just reason to VAT being charged on books when they are an exempted class.

I have to say nothing was resolved and the whole process was inefficient and arduous to the point that it has now put me off bothering. I have spent hours replying to emails, supplying requested info etc only for it all to end receiving no reply in the end. They really need to sharpen their service up.

Check, yes I’m guessing it won’t go anywhere but will give it the college try, paid it anyway to get items for the time being, I rejected an item last time and it never got back to the sender so I lost money on it

Yeah do it, report back if you have success - tag me if you can! Best of luck with it! TBH if it works out I would be more inclined to buy sale goods in future.

• Advertisement

I got a partial refund today, takes a while for responses, but they replied to initial query in 10 days or so looking for evidence of the actual cost, I sent it on and they replied about 8 days later saying the processed the refund based on that. Seems like it’s an issue with how retailers show prices on sales items. I never risk buying too much because of potential big bills, so not sure I’d chance it too often. They could have easily said there wasn’t enough proof as the information I had wasn’t everything they asked for, but it was a lot of it, they were very helpful really. I got about 33% back of initial charge which was great.

Oh well done, that was great. When it happened to me I was given a "no can do" and that was it but will push on it future and try to be more demanding.

Have they changed the rules around it so, is VAT no longer applied to the recommended retail value and is now just applicable on price paid even if it's sale price?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

I recently purchased some items from eBay, which were intended as a present. As usual, eBay charged me 23% VAT and usually eBay packages come through without any problems. An Post charged me 23% VAT again, using a figure for the value that already included 23% VAT (so I paid tax on tax, ludicrously) and although I was annoyed about it and should really have disputed the charge, I paid it this Tuesday morning so I would get it before Christmas. As of this morning, it is still sitting in Dublin Mail Centre, meaning the earliest it will now arrive is the 28th, so after Christmas. All because of a VAT charge I shouldn't have had to pay to begin with.

Most people you deal with in An Post are pretty great, from the people delivering the post to the post office staff, but Dublin Mail Centre is so horrendously bad that I really am utterly fed up with it. Every time I have these stupid headaches with erroneous VAT charges, DMC are involved. I wish something could be done about this.

Post edited by MrCouperin on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I ordered a portable battery recently in the Amazon sale that was discounted to ~€100. As I could not have it delivered here I sent it to AddressPal in the UK for what I expected to be an additional charge of €6.50. On Thursday evening I received a notification that the item has been valued at €147 and I must pay VAT and service of €38. There is an email address on AddressPal to query customs charges but it will take some time before I hear from them.

Is this charge valid, or was I correct to assume there should be no charge for this item because it should be valued at the price I actually paid for it, and even if I did pay the full price, that has been valued at less than €150?

Advertisement