Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One4all chip cards

Options
  • 18-02-2022 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I tried to use my one4all gift voucher at Tesco's. I Was told I needed a pin number and to apply online for that. This process entailed

1. setting up account and password. It took several efforts to invent a suitably strong password.
    2. waiting for an sms link to download ID Pal app.
    3. ID Pal app required uploading drivers license or passport.

I resent having to do this. It is over the top and paradoxically a security risk, not to mention invasion of privacy.

**** ridiculous in my opinion.

I will not be using it, or ever gifting anyone this amount of hassle.

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is not a one4all specific issue; this applies to all e-money products as an anti money laundering requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

Yes, but one-4-all gift cards are supposed to be gifts; not a stressful experience that assumes you are happy to download an app, upload passport i.d. and then the ultimate ludicrousness of facial recognition.

A good UX can acquire authentication that is stress-free to the client and is sensitive to a clients need for privacy and data protection.

This is a good article https://www.pymnts.com/digital-first-banking/2021/five-star-mobile-banking-apps-give-banks-a-false-sense-of-security/

that discusses the flaws and user friction generated with current banking apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

Gift cards are all a bit of a complicated mess. They have fees, expiry dates etc. Just give birthday presents etc in cash like everyone always did for decades! I can’t see the point of loading a card that’s used as cash anyway or restricting someone to one store of your choice. Vouchers for some nice treat like a restaurant are perhaps a bit different as it is a bit special but a generic treat-as-cash voucher on a card just seems pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Call your TD. It is anti money laundering legislation. It is not one4all doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're trying to make a three minute (max) process sound like a lot if stress and hassle. It's not. And there's no security risk.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm not, you know. It takes a couple of minutes at most. I'd rather receive other forms of reward but they are not the amount of hassle to paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Buy a one4all card for someone you have to buy a presetn for but dont particularly like.

Buy a Ryanair gift card for someone you loathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I get PERX from work and have never had to send an id or get a pin, is it a brand new requirement?

Yes, it appears to be. Not sure if it is only for amounts greater than 100 euro.

PERX looks much more user friendly. I had never heard of it.

When I mentioned in passing, to a family member about one-4 all hassle, I was told that my sister's business will NOT be giving one 4 all cards this xmas. All the staff complained and requested cash or other instead, next time.

So, it is not just me feeling aggravated but 40 staff members from an employer other than my own!

• Advertisement
Advertisement