Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini labradoodles ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

You won't regret it. They're so sweet and clever. And I'm getting to be an expert in grooming so don't worry about that as it's only a deal if you want to show them.

The only drawback is they're so stunning that you need to make an effort leaving the house with them or you look like a servant😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Best pals don't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mynydd2

Sorry, I only see this now. Generally speaking, dogs with a higher percentage of heterozygosity will have a lower risk of genetic disorders and other complications associated with their breed background. Cavalier King Charles, for example, have been banned from breeding in Denmark due to homozygosity leading to a lot of diseases. I got my mutt DNA tested, no genetic conditions apart from Obesity risk. Both poodle and labrador are prone to genetic disorders, so I am happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

What genetic tests did you get done? Or do you mean that you just had a dna test done to see what breeds are in there?

If you put two unhealthy dogs together it doesn't matter if they are pure breed or crossbreed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm pretty sure the degree of heterozygosity achieved by 1st-generation crosses is nowhere near sufficient to significantly lower the risk of genetically mediated health issues.

Hybrid vigour really only makes its presence felt in real, proper mutts 😁, dogs that have a chequered list of ancestor breeds, as I understand it anyway.

I think the breeding ban on brachycephalic breeds is in Norway, and I'm not sure it has actually been implemented just yet.

• Advertisement

Mine is multiple generations, not an F1. Got DNA for breed and extensive genetic health screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The issue isn't directly regarding whether an animal is crossed or not, but in simple terms, what is being bred with what. Keeping to simple terms, a completely healthy animal crossed with a completely healthy animal will most likely result in a healthy pup. This is regardless of breed. Crossing two breeds that have different health issues will not nullify the risk of health issues. In fact, there's now a risk that the pup will have one or the other, or both health issues (accounting for recessiveness). Then there is a risk with cross breeding, such as in the likes of a labradoodle, that health issues are actually amplified (retinal dysplasia rates are higher in labradoodles than either labs or poodles, CCRs are more likely in all cross breds).

As it stands, purebred breeding has the added value of having controllable breed related traits. You can have ethical mixed breeding, which are usually purpose bred (such as lurchers). However, the problems arise with indiscriminate breeding practices. It's not the reputable pure bred breeders at fault. It's those that breed without purpose or testing (backyard breeders and puppy farms). Overall, your well bred pup from your reputable breeder is going to much healthier than your average cross bred dog.

Keep in mind that the average purebred pup is going to be more likely to have been tested for their genetic diseases than a crossbred pup too. For example, if you know a German Shepherd is more likely to get hip dysplasia, you're more likely to have it screen for it. That hip dysplasia may never really cause major symptoms and may be the exact same as a cross bred but you wouldn't know the cross bred had it because you never thought to check.

As a completely anecdotal story, a family member had a mix bred dog from a backyard breeder at the same time I had a pure bred Labrador from a reputable breeder. My lab rarely ever went to the vets until he was 12, and then a series of age related illnesses took him and I eventually put him down at age 13. My family member's dog also rarely went to the vet... because they never took him. There were plenty of times he needed to go and just wasn't taken. The dog died a slow, agonising death just as they were about the take him to the vet (which they were only going to do because I threatened them). They still would claim that their dog was much healthier than mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I didn't realise that you could get genetic health tests done when getting a breed test. Was it with Wisdom? What kind of genetic issues did they test for? Was it conditions that would be high in the particular breeds?

I used wisdom panel, yes. Screened for most of the breed related genetic conditions that I wanted. While the father is an ikc registered poodle, our poodles when I was a child had so many health conditions, despite being registered. I just wanted to know. Only thing that came up was 1 copy of obesity risk, must come from the lab side. Not sure how scientific that test is, I know the Engage test is slightly better but also more expensive. The father must come from England, a lot of related poodles there.

I agreed contractually with the breeder that I could return her within 6 weeks. His offer I should add. I don’t think I would have done so if the test flagged anything serious but still.

Advertisement