Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Pay It Back?

Options
  • 17-02-2022 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

I made 2 bets tonight on the Champions League games. (I can show proof of the bets if this is considered after-timing.) It was for BTTS in the first half of the 4 games. One was a fourfold and one a lucky 15. Very small stakes but a large (ish) payout.

Both bets came in when Atalanta scored and a cash-out option came up, which I took. I immediately withdrew the money. It arrived in my bank account. Almost immediately afterwards the Atalanta goal was disallowed. My gambling account is now at a minus amount.

I have 2 questions for people:

1. Do people think I should pay the money back? Is it morally stealing to keep this money? I have cashed out previously at a loss to myself and the bookie has never seemed to have had a problem with that.
    2. If I keep the money can they come after me in some way for it? They have my details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

For some reason they wiped out the debt and put my account back to zero. Bit shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I've been fortunate once or twice in that regard as have a few others here and I did the exact same thing and withdrew straight away.

I recall here some years back(2011) with pp palace were at home to crawley and close to half time pp were offering 30/1 on palace +2 and this was close to half time when the game was 0-0 should have been -2 if I remember right and good odds on +1 also

I lived on boards back then but missed all the action and the guy who put it up here didnt get paid, plenty did though, some got a few hundred some got a few grand and all got away with it, it was great to see in fairness, the excitement of some wondering if the money was gone long enough for pp not to be able to reclaim it so some had a few anxious hours but most withdrew straight away and I'd say there was none with a guilty conscience either.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056367125/paddypower-and-crystal-palace-drama/p5

It's not morally wrong imo to keep it and most would do the same, these are bookies who take advantage of people with problems

and limit people who have winning accounts so crooks is all they are and nobody from boards that night was giving it back 😂

They can't come after you, have had accounts go into minus also but they usually just reset it to zero.

What I should have said was it's so unlikely that they will based on what I've seen here and the amount would want to be very significant for them to bother.

Enjoy the winnings! I love these posts 😀

Post edited by mailburner on

They can come after you legally.

Bookies have in their terms & conditions that if you win as a result of software or human error, you have to return the money.

Now, how likely it is that the bookie will chase you for the money is a different story.

But, in short, yes they can demand it back.

This is the email they sent afterwards so it looks like the money is mine to keep. Happy days.

We are contacting you in regard to your balance on your account which temporarily moved into a negative. As a gesture of goodwill and to resolve the issue, we have reset the balance on your account to zero and we welcome you to continue to bet with us.

For answers to our most common queries, visit Help. Alternatively, Contact Us.

Kind regards,

The bet365 Team

They settled a minus balance before a few times but always for a small amount of money so was very surprised to get this. Maybe they think they will get most of it back (and they most likely will) but it will take a while as I have a deposit limit per day that I won't be changing.

Happy days indeed.

At least someone had a bit of joy betting on the football last night haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

It's a sensible move from them as they know in the medium to long term they will get all that money back from you. This isn't them being nice, it's a cold business decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's bookies' faults for having some bets settle so fast. That's the risk they take (as a positive for customers to have money come in so quickly after an event wins for example).

If Paddy Power (or a different bookie) really wanted to complain about it, they'd have to contact their data provider for sending them the wrong info previously - In the end of the day, someone is coding the match live, and sent it as a goal (which was initially correct), so with PP having their bets settle immediately on receipt of the goal tag from their data provider, they cause the problem themselves.

I know that but they will be a while making it back from me as I won't be upping my deposit limit.

As you can see I had very little money in account so stakes were very small. It was really for the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

They make a couple of billion each year Kathleen, enjoy your money and let it be guilt free, they made it available for cashout and you took it.

if you still have any moral quandaries then feel free to paypal me the money if its going to help you sleep at night 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Might be a "largish" payout to you and it will get you a nice treat, but in the scheme of things its miniscule to them and the goodwill from even you mentioning it to a small number of people is worth the amount they have paid out.

And in a way, it was a grey area as you took advantage of those few seconds when the goal stood, so theoretically I would say that there was nothing wrong with the cashout.

I said "largish" because I have seen so many people bet and get huge amounts. This is a massive amount to me, not just "nice treat" money. I am driving an 18 year old car at the moment and I now have €2000 to either spend on a car or as a deposit on an even better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

That's what I mean. It a very nice and decent win for you.

For them its a drop in the ocean and the goodwill is worth more to them and as I said I believe it was a correct win as for those few seconds the goal was a goal.

So enjoy it totally guilt free

Ah yes, get you know. Yep a drop in the ocean to them indeed. Thanks for good wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Take the money , don't feel one bit sorry for them .

Great picks pal enjoy the cash.

Advertisement