If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)

Flood damage from other apartment, who pays excess?

  • 16-02-2022 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16 mankyfecker

    We have flood damage from an adjoining apartment (leak caused by their apartment) for which the management company appear to making a claim on the building's policy. If there is an excess on this policy then who pays for it? should it be paid from the building's sinking fund, the apartment who cause the leak or should I pay something?


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

    Whoever took out the insurance, i.e. the management company.

  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ Fkall

    Mgt. Company will either chase apartment owner who caused the leak for excess or deduct monies from payment to you.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ JimmyVik

    Usually whoever is claiming pays the excess.

    So if you are making the claim to get your place fixed then its you.

    But if the other party has their own insurance then your insurance will chase theirs.

    In the case of an apartment block though its all the one insurance so claimant pays.

    But a nice word with the owner of the other apartment might get them to give you the excess.

  • Registered Users Posts: 27,064 ✭✭✭✭ HeidiHeidi

    I have twice had damage done by a leak from the apartment directly above mine, both times the owner there paid up.

    The management company never got involved, I'm not sure why they would?

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ JimmyVik

    They would have to be involved if the claim was off a block policy. If the owner just paid up then no need to go through insurance.

  • Advertisement