Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy & Google Reviews

Options
  • 15-02-2022 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,

On Wednesday last week, I left a negative Google review after an incident I had at a store overseas during my trip. The review was very polite, but depicted the facts as they happened. I obviously used my Google account to leave the review, but I don't have my real name or any of my identity information on that account. The name is something frivolous. On Thursday, I was still overseas and saw a connection on my Gmail account from Ireland marked as "authorized application". I thought it was a bit weird, but didn't think much of it until Friday when someone from the Google Policy & Legal Investigations team in Ireland looked at my LinkedIn profile (with all their details on display).

I got a notification yesterday that my review was ultimately removed.

Now, I think this is a severe privacy breach considering the review was negative, but not violent/defamatory/etc... Based on my Google account, Google and the store would have had no way to find out my real identity and certainly not my LinkedIn since a) I don't have my real name on my Google account b) my Google account is not linked to any app (LinkedIn etc...) except for Airbnb and it just so happened that I had an Airbnb email laying around in Gmail.

The review simply depicted by exact experience in the store without identifying the concerned staff or using any derogatory language. I don't care that it was removed (though truthful), but I do care that Google was intrusive enough to find out my LinkedIn by any means and even go as far as allowing an employee to look at it with their full details on display. It can't be a coincidence. I honestly feel incredibly uneasy about this because I left a review based on a personal experience and they ended up digging far more than necessary.

Any advice or has it ever happened to anyone?

Comments

Advertisement