Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smoked chicken salad

Options
  • 14-02-2022 11:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you were making a smoked chicken salad, what would you put in it and what kind of dressing would you use?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Romaine lettuce, red onion, a mustardy vinagrette? Robust, but not to overpower the smoked chicken flavour. Less would be more, I would think?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yep, I think definitely a mustardy vinagrette, and maybe some walnuts. Possibly some fruit, like apple or grape?

I would no sooner put fruit in my chicken salad than chicken in my fruit salad, but whatever rocks your boat! :)

Perhaps some roasted red pepper would work well?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ha, I came into this thread to recommend roasted red pepper, too!

Perhaps some nice avocado, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Did you end up making something or was it just ideas?

I made jerk chicken on the bbq a couple of weeks ago, offset cooked it with bay and thyme, had it with rice and peas.

Next day i had some of the left over chicken with a Caesar-ish salad, one with mayonnaise instead of eggs, it was beautiful.

• Advertisement

Where is good to get smoked chicken?

I got some from Skeaghanore before, but did not like it. It was pink inside, and boney, so I tried to cook it a bit on the pan. Maybe I shouldn't have? Anyway, very little smoky flavour, and not great chicken (I didn't like the texture). It was €4.70 for 200g.

In the end, the weather was so unpleasant on the day that I was using it that I made a pasta dish instead. I'll revisit the salad idea when the storms abate!

I got the Skeaghanore one and agree that it was quite pink close to the bone. I think you can get some in the English Market but I can't remember which stall exactly.

Actually, @igCorcaigh , my idea to use it in a salad came from a delicious salad that I got in Rebecca's Kitchen in Kilbrittain. I think she sells smoked chicken in there too, but I can't remember the specifics. It's also a bit far out and closed until March 22nd but if you're ever in the area, you could pop in there and see what she uses.

Oh, I had never heard of Rebecca's Kitchen @Faith, but I must absolutely check it out. I went with my mum to the Pavilion in Ballygarvan a couple of weeks ago, and we loved it. Will definitely suggest a visit to there.

I remember many years back in the Ivory Tower, Cork (RIP) getting smoked chicken, stuffed inside a huge red chilli, which was tempura battered. Delicious!

It's a gorgeous little spot. Highly recommend a visit in the summer and sit outside to enjoy the area, or pick up a few things for a beach picnic somewhere nearby like Harbour View.

Advertisement