Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV licence inspector

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Revenue are very efficient at collecting money. Even if you die, they take it from your estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Yes, really. This kite gets flown every few years after a bit of screeching from RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I read Pat Leahy's piece since and it looks like more kite flying.

If they are stupid enough to introduce a new tax collected by Revenue they deserve all the bother they will get.

The Media Commission gave them the easy way out and if they don't take it I'll be surprised.

Why would they draw all that trouble on themselves for the sake of the small change that is at stake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Once Revenue get involved there will be no way for anyone with a TV to avoid paying. Proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭webmanie

No one is going to get away anymore after this month "The Revenue Commissioners would be asked to collect the television licence fee in the future under a proposal to be considered later this month "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First off this will be a media charge as in I think any legislation bought in will have requirement that any house and certain business properties will require to pay a public broadcasting charge. It's rely not possible to enforce otherwise.

It's pretty easy after that. If you house is vacant you pay a house vacancy charge of not you have to pay media charge or provide the pps number of the person liable for that charge

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭EarWig

Everyone fears the Revenue, yes.

But Revenue would be completely mad to take this one on because they still have to prove you have a TV. A good monitor and good internet is an excellent substitute for me.

Exactly it becomes a tax not a licence otherwise it's unworkable.

There will be no opt out.

Watch the opposition having an open goal.

It's like the Government want to actually lose the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

I have a simple solution for RTE to people not paying their TV Licence, Just abolish the licence altogether and introduce a Netflix Style subscription Service. I wonder why they don't do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I can't see the revenue taking this on willingly, especially after not getting involved with collecting the water charges.

Are they really going to go through the same hassle that An Post go through in trying to get people to pay up.

They might have a better idea of who lives in a given house but as others have pointed out they still need to prove you have a TV.

I'd also expect the "no TV" group to steadily increase, are they going to hire an army of inspectors to check those houses out.

TV's without tuners are also starting to appear in other markets with TV licences, allowing people to legally avoid the charge.

RTE need a Universal Broadcasting charge so they can force everyone to pay up or direct exchequer funding.

But there'd be big resistance to a universal charge. Paul Murphy has already said he'll launch a campaign against it.

Traditional TV is dying a death, it's time to accept this and stop forcing younger people to pay for older peoples entertainment.

It's a great idea if we don't care about Public Service Broadcasting.

If we do care we need to put in place a stable means of funding it.

First off though we need to decide what sort of PBS we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭EarWig

If you care about Public Service Broadcasting, you would have to be in despair at the beached whale that is RTE. It is holding back both commercial and public service broadcasting at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of revenue technically it can be done, politically after water charges politicians are wary and new bill and they are delaying forever.

In terms of getting a letter, they do send letters to every dwelling with no licence in the hope people will go out and get a licence. They have a list of all premesis without licences. I believe they also have access to sky, virgin media information on to who is paying for a tv service. They can also look in windows, look at satellite dishes, tv aerials etc.

If they get inside they can search for tvs. They have even checked in wardrobes for hidden tvs wrapped in blankets as they were expected to visit.

They try to collect names and if you own or rent and try to get you to sign declarations.

If you want all your wardrobes searched, then invite them in. Personally even if I did not have a tv I would not invite them in, covid, invasion of privacy, the hassle waiting for them to show up. They may also call back another day or another year.

Note the requirement is if you have a tv or anything with a tv tuner.

You can have Netflix on phone or laptop, no licence needed.

You can watch rte player on phone or laptop, no licence needed.

You can have all the streaming tv you like as you have no TV with tuner.

I would not admit that to person that calls. Just say goodbye and close the door. If you get a court summons, what evidence will they gave against you. The inspector may lie, "I saw a massive tv in the window" you say it's a big screen for working from home/streaming with no tuner. If they don't have your name, if you don't pay for sky nor virgin media you should be ok.

Note if you have a licence in your name and don't renew, it's obvious you have a tv and have not paid.

If you move house and move licence it indicates old house no longer has licence and letters or inspectors will be sent to house.

Often if you buy a licence before court they will cancel all preceedings, and there will be no back fees nor fines. Things are different in UK

If you end up in court, fines are added to cost if licence and often people in court cannot/won't pay and then you get sent to jail for non payment if a fine. You spend a few hours in mount joy and usually get out same day. You should get a tv licence before court if you think there is a chance you can't won't pay fine.

Long term it may be added to esb bill/property tax/revenue, but politically it's difficult. It would save all the wasted letters, court time, and the hundreds of thousands of households watching rte without a licence. If the price was reduced from say 160 to 100 and applied to every address, say by ESB bill, then I would be for it, but the proposal is to collect more money by billing those with and without tvs.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough but I'm sure you will agree that we need to take into account everyone else's opinion too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

If I was in Govt. I would go in hard on RTE...

Slash and outsource everything. Nobody should be on above 100K, unless they have written approval from minister for communications.

Cancel all contractors, anything to do with NK.

Listen, f*ck them... its a dinosaur.

It has to be an outside team, as too many vested interests in RTE.

Advertisement