Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Now

Options
  • 13-02-2022 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

So just used this app for a cab from Glasnevin to Churchtown. Estimate on app was €18-24, which I guess didn't take into account extras such as number of people (4) and luggage. Charged fare was €51. Looking at the reviews of the app there are many complaints about the difference between estimated and actual.. so do they just cynically present a low estimate ? Makes things very awkward for the driver surely at the end ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Since when is luggage a factor? The number of passengers has always been extra per person. I suppose you're paying the evening rates too rather than the day rates at this time of night.

Have you heard of Bolt? I've heard good things. I might give it a wack this week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Which way did the driver go? What was the initial charge on the meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TreyAz

Shouldn't the evening rates be part of the estimate at least, and probably the number of passengers too ? How could the estimate be so far off ?

He went on M50 (which I realize is more expensive than through town), didn't notice initial charge unfortunately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Luggage fees were removed ages ago. Can't find out how long ago as it's ancient history really - they're on a 2005 rate card I found but nothing newer

If you work out the distance, the fare was probably right for going via the M50 but a driver should offer you the shorter (if slower) route also.

To be honest, the fare seems reasonably ok. But how do they get away with "estimating" it so low ? How could it ever be "€18-24" like it said on the app during booking ? Is that not just dishonest ? Then the driver blames the app, and the app support blames the driver.

• Advertisement

Ah. The Free Now estimate sounds about right for the direct route through town. The much higher fare sounds about right for the M50 route. The M50 route is three times longer and not any quicker at that time of the day.

Did you ask them to go the M50 or did the driver choose that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Going the M50 was what cost you

The trip would have been on the meter and would have been at Sunday rates including a euro or so for each extra passenger.

You'll know for next time!

€51 for Glasnevin to Churchtown with no traffic is daylight robbery in my opinion. The driver should have taken the direct route and saved you over €25. It's not the app's fault, the app estimated the fare using the direct and reasonable route. The driver took you on a scenic drive, basically.

Put it into here and compare the fares for the routes that come up on the map:

https://www.transportforireland.ie/fares/taxi-fare-estimator/

Post edited by Peregrine on

• Registered Users Posts: 81,121 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who decided to take M50?

The driver just chose it. I had no idea the fare would be double, naive I guess on my part !

I guess take nothing for granted is the lesson here, and query stuff up front...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

The driver should go the most direct route unless you agree otherwise. As you might well do, for example if you wanted to get to the airport quickly.

Did they ask you "do you want to go via the M50"?

If not, you would have cause to put in a complaint to the taxi regulator. I'm not sure exactly what happens then but presumably, if a driver gets a number of complaints made against them they get asked for an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Glasnevin to Churchtown is 11km direct compared to 33km via the M50 which is a gigantic difference in distance travelled

How can a taxi driver choose to go a route that is that much longer without telling the customer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

You were ripped off 100%.Report it to the NTA.

However....(unpopular opinion coming)...for a very high cost economy,our taxi fares are really too cheap.This allows unscrupulous drivers to overcharge by going the long way.

Any tourists I've had in the taxi from other high cost economies can't believe how cheap our fares are.

Advertisement