Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot melt chain wax

Options
  • 13-02-2022 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

I'm about to replace my chain and I thought it might be a good opportunity to try and apply hot melt wax. Has anyone got any experience, tips, advice to offer?

Thanks,

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Look up ozcycle on YouTube. He goes through the whole process in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Thought this thread was about some sort of sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

I do it but I think I might switch back to normal lube. It doesn't seem to last at all when there is rain or water on the road.

But once you've got your bike and chain fully degreased, reapplying wax is easy. Multiple chains is the best way. I have a small slow cooker that I fire up on sundays and wax a few chains at once.

I have stopped doing it for my fixed gear as when the wax wears out of the chain, I get a slack chain and it falls off my chainring. Need to retighten wheel. Works flawlessly with derailleur bikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i asked about this topic before, and one video i quoted (not sure if it was ozcycle) used a chemical in making a liquid wax which someone - Cram, i think - mentioned was not the sort of chemical you want to mess with.

that was a video about making a wax which was liquid with addition of some volatile chemical, to make it easier to apply without taking the chain off the bike. so after applying, the added volatile chemical would evaporate off the wax.

i think the GCN video from a few years ago on the topic was a 'full dunk into hot wax' approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Don’t think that was ozcycle. Just molten paraffin wax with optional addition of some additives.

Here’s the video

https://youtu.be/HHr9znwpwmQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

I've ordered the PTFE powder from Aliexpress and the paraffin wax from Art & Hobby, for about a quarter of the price of the branded stuff. I reckon I will only need to re-apply once per month or so. I'll give it a go and see how it goes. If it's too much of a faff, I'll go back to lube.

R

Advertisement