Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of furnishing a new build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Top quality furniture second hand is great value if you can find it conveniently close but a lot of average furniture isn't massively cheaper second hand and obviously will have some wear and tear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

2nd hand is great for kiting out kids rooms or spare rooms. Also great for helping decide what you really want, as many have said you need to live in the space for a while to get a feel for what would and wouldn't work. 2nd hand can ride you over until you know what will work. Most 2nd hand can be purchased at half the original price. And then in 6 mths time you can sell it on for probably the same price again and get what you now know you want. If you buy new immediately and the change your mind, you'll lose a chunk of the value.

And the environmental impact of reusing and recycling is important too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Again it doesn't have to be 2nd hand lots of new stuff on sites less than buying them from store directly. People give away kitchen's and bathrooms all the time along with very good furntiure. Saw a €1.5 k BoConcept table given away free a few weeks ago and it was in very good condition. If you can wait you can furnish your home very well and very cheaply. Free is massively cheaper than buying

If you can take your time you can do the whole lot really cheaply and then do what you really want for less if you're patient. Even on FB marketplace, where I am it's rare a day goes by that a nice sofa isn't up for under 100 quid (if not free). I hadn't the space but a cousin of mine was getting rid of an 18 month old huge L-sofa/bed/futon thing. Would've been more than €4k new here, she was looking under €500. Coffee tables, shelves, stuff like that that shows up for free or close to it all the time. Then going bit by bit buying the stuff you really want (when it's cheap or it suits you) will let you kit it out as you like without missing out.

Worst thing to do is have money and feel like you need to spend it now. From 2nd hand info it looks like furniture prices have gone up (mates were in a shop they bought a bunch of their stuff in a year or 2 ago, sofa literally increased in price by 50% since, couple of other bits they got up 20-30%) so now might not be the best time to feel like the money is burning a hole in your pocket. :P

very few giving away anything valuable for free at the moment , almost anything is fetching a good price , could be a while waiting for someone that generous ( or rich ) to let something off for free

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd suggest spending on your floors and then buying the bare essentials initially (bed, sofa, appliances). You don't need to spend the 15k now.

Then you can furnish and decorate each room properly one at a time. This way you are more likely to end up with a house that looks coherent. We had an interior designer come in to our house to give us some inspiration and she said the biggest pitfall people fall into is they buy furniture and furnishings in a bit of a scattered way and it shows in the end result.

We bought some temporary Ikea stuff initially. They have a coffee table that costs like €5 etc. Just gave them away for free when we replaced them on freecycle sites etc, there's always someone who will take them.

I gave you an example i saw recently and I am still seeing good free furniture. It is still possible not sure why you want to contradict the reality I am seeing and talking about.

It's an example, it is not typical to give away furniture with that value

Whatever I am sure you know better than what I am actually seeing. OP good option if you want to look yourself and ignore naysayers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Natuzzi suite free to take away.

https://www.adverts.ie/26086127

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

How much a it cost for flooring of 3 bed duplex, 1200 sq ft in size?

1. Wooden flooring in Living and Kitchen
    2. Carpet in bed rooms and stairs
    3. Size 1200 Sqft in

Thanks in anticipation.

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Depends on the quality / type of wooden flooring you go for, but I'd guess 5-10k, probably more if you go engineered wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

Thanks. Builder will provide like in a show house. Carpets as well. Perhaps worth the 10K, they asked

Advertisement