Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas TV 2022 - 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Novembermas on Food Network has been on as background noise already; and its a welcome bit of familiarity... but... it would be nice to have another few shows in the rotation.

I know there's only so many TV chefs and they usually only do one Christmas episode every series or two - and they don't have the rights to everything (e.g. Nigel Slater did a three-parter and I've never seen it on food Network) but surely they could commission some new stuff.

Regardless, I still want to cook a turkey right now, but I've no functional kitchen at all due to a further stage of renovations. May have to ask when the turkey and ham are coming in to the work canteen, its usually available for at least a few weeks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Santa Clauses season 2 starts streaming this Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Scrooged is on Film 4 today at 5.10pm

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

Have we lost a channel? I could have sworn there was a Great Xmas + 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,253 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Wasn't sure where else to put this, so dropping here as some overlap with their TV output ... some interesting output across BBC Sounds and Radio channels.

• Listeners can immerse themselves in Doctor Who The Missing Episodes over the festive period, with 26 episodes that were previously thought lost. Thanks to the ingenuity of the fans, sound recordings of these missing episodes survived and were returned to the BBC. Combined with the narration from the stars of Doctor Who, here’s a chance to listen to the three adventures starring the first two Doctors.
    • Marking 50 years since The Wombles first appeared on the BBC, Richard E Grant narrates a charming adventure from Wimbledon common for BBC Radio 4, directed by Johnny Vegas
    • John Finnemore reprises his role in a return to Moominvalley in Comet in Moominland narrated by Samantha Bond.
    • Bill Nighy stars in A. L. Kennedy’s drama A Single Act, while Brian Cox bids farewell in comedy Bob Servant Says Cheerio
    • Strictly Come Dancing head judge Shirley Ballas, Barbie director Greta Gerwig and queen of the kitchen Delia Smith are this year’s festive castaways on Desert Island Discs
    • Inside Ghosts Christmas Special... Nathan Bryon delves into the strange goings on at Button House with the cast of Ghosts in this special episode which releases alongside the last ever episode of the show.
    • Ruth Jones (Gavin and Stacey co-creator) will look back at her early comic inspirations for With Great Pleasure at Christmas

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2023/bbc-radio-and-bbc-sounds-christmas-2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Is there any sign of a University Challenge festive series? I can't see it mentioned anywhere.

No airdate specified but it is listed in the TV highlights:

"Once again, University Challenge celebrates Christmas by giving students a short break, and instead inviting teams of distinguished alumni to compete on behalf of their former university. Expect to see some of the UK's finest minds test themselves on one of the UK’s toughest quiz shows, with plenty of seasonal brainteasers to test what they know - and what they don't - about pretty much everything."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Thanks for that. I always enjoy the Christmas series. With Paxman gone, I wasn't sure it was going ahead.

• Advertisement

Heads up, the Snowman is on Channel 4 today at 5.20, followed by the Snowman and the snowdog straight after.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I think there will be a lot of repeats on this year. I read that there won't be any new episodes of Kirstie's Handmade Christmas due to cutbacks at Ch4. I love watching that show in the run up to Christmas. I always say to myself I'll make some of the easier things, but then never do!

A lot of repeated Christmas stuff on C4, maybe they figure not worth putting new stuff up versus the competition.

e.g. Next Saturday night, a repeat of Christmas at Harewood House. Series 3

There is a new Christmas themed programme - A Royal Guide to Christmas. There were some "A Royal Guide to ..." programmes over the autumn iirc.

A look at the Christmas period for the royals, featuring extravagant black-tie dinners, celebrity carol concerts and 20-foot trees. Historically it was a 12-day celebration filled with performances, jousting tournaments and even coronations. Today, however, the royal Christmas is much more down to Earth - even the king enjoys a turkey dinner and an evening of festive telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

RTE Christmas Guide out this day next week if anyone is keeping up the tradition.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I do. And I don’t end up reading the blasted thing.

But a tradition is a tradition.

Ditto.

Last year I wasn't even in the country to watch the TV and I still bought the thing!🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

I love the crossword but struggle to get time to get to that even at the moment.

I'm the same. I'll never learn ha. I'll have the pen and I'll circle a few things.

BBC TV listings have been confirmed, available on Weebly UK Christmas TV site

On Christmas eve, BBC2 will air a Ghost Story for Christmas, an adaptation of Lot 249 by Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes creator).

Murder for Christmas comes from Christmas specials of Beyond Paradise, Death in Paradise and a new adaptation of Murder is Easy by Agatha Christie.

And at the risk of a forum ban I shall just mention this without passing comment!

on Sky Max and NOW, a unique treat for film enthusiasts with The Unofficial Science of Die Hard & Indiana Jones. This Christmas special, featuring Chris Ramsey, Paul Chowdry, Greg James, and Maisie Adam, explores the science behind the iconic stunts of Die Hard and Indiana Jones.

It’s a fun, educational dive into what makes these movies tick and answers the perennial question – is Die Hard truly a Christmas film?

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/sky-now-christmas-line-up/

• Advertisement

Something to watch when recovering from the night before!

I'm not ready to think about post Christmas just yet 🤣

The Christmas RTE Guide is out btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hi folks - is there any app or website that has the full Christmas tv listings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The RTE guide has them all, no Internet required. 😄

There is also a Great Christmas bake off on channel four on Christmas Eve as well.

Something a bit different on Sky Arts

The Wonderland series looks at Christmas... and the lives of authors associated with the season interspersed with readings from their works. Bittersweet is the word that springs to mind ... reflections on personal tragedies and global tragedies of war.

Charles Dickens, JRR Tolkien, The Box of Delights from John Masefield and Wind in the Willows from Kenneth Graeme are covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The only must see for me 😊

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I see RTEs Carols from the Castle or whatever is called is gone. Shame, was always nice on Christmas Eve

Must go through Sky Arts and Sky Atlantic

Yeah noticed that, was usually good. There is a clip show presented by Celine Byrne on the Saturday and on Christmas Eve morning a repeat of Bocelli Family Christmas.

TG4 have Nollaig Cois Coiribe from Galway Cathedral on Christmas Eve - but I see thats a repeat.

BBC2 will have Carols from Kings as usual.

Nothing can compete with Carols From Kings for Christmas Eve TV.

It will trump RTE's coverage of Midnight Mass from St Francis Basilica in Netherlands... with translation from Fr Thomas McCarthy. Bizarre!

RTE radio 1 will broadcast the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from Patricks Cathedral on Christmas Eve st 4pm.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/festival-of-nine-lessons-and-carols/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Aww , just watched The Hairy Bikers : Coming Home for Christmas.

Lovely ....poor Dave after all his cancer treatment, home with Si , cooking beautiful food for those that helped him over the last 18months . Very special episode 💔

On BBC2 if any of ye want to catch it on the player .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not sure if I have seen this or they might have featured different authors ?

I remember Jane Austen and JMBarrie as well ..

Look forward to that.

Poor Charles Dickens lost a daughter at Christmas which instigated a great philanthropy towards children's causes . He raised a lot of money for Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital who were very much in need at that time , over his lifetime .

I think there were earlier Wonderland episodes focused on Childrens stories and then later on Gothic themes - Jane Austen likely popped up there?

I have the Gothic episodes recorded, pity it didnt air in time for Halloween.

The latest episode was focused on Christmas and touched on how those personal tragedies influenced their work (eg Dickens as you note). Sounds like there will be a lot of overlap with the earlier episodes.

Bet he won't work the alter as well as Fr Ultan Crosby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Hold My Hand

A Bocelli Family Christmas has just started on RTE 1

Movies on the tv for tonight.

Channel 4 are also showing Godfather Part 1 and 2, and for Part 3 they are showing the 'Coda' director's cut version.

Some movies for tonight

Con Air is a certified classic.

More cracking movies for tonight.

• Advertisement

Reminder for bake off fans that the new years special is on channel 4 tonight.

Watching the TOTP Christmas special from 1984 that I had recorded over Christmas on bbc4, there were some amount of pop classics that year, fabulous, must keep it and watch again some evening with a glass of wine.

Meet me at St. Louis on TG4 at the mo.

Thats the one with Judy Garland singing 'Have yourself a merry little Christmas'

Classic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement