Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Ireland in Photos

Options
  • 11-02-2022 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Thankfully the life and times of my grandparents were captured on camera and I have access to the plenty of old family photographs.

These range from pictures of my 2xgreatgrandparents in the late 1890s, to school photos in the 1930s.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person with either access to or interest in these sort of photos of Ireland in the early 1900s!

I propose using this thread to share and discuss old photos.

Regards,

R Ó Maoilmheana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

A group attending some sort of carnival?

I'm not sure what the event was, but my great-aunt and great-grandfather attended.

Circa 1940.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kildarejohn

Great photo. The van on the right has the inscription "To... Amus..." so I would guess Toft's Amusements. There's a few sources per Google giving info on Tofts.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Eyes like a hawk, thank you for spotting that!

Time to see what I can find on IrishNewspaperArchives...

Initial searching shows up Galway, I'd be surprised if they travelled out west from Dublin

My great-grandfather in the 1910s.

Gas how he decided he was going to go and get a studio photo taken of himself... and his greyhound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

There has to be more to it than that - could be a prize winning greyhound?

🤨 I don't know why I hadn't thought of that!

I will investigate, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Strangely enough, a greyhound in this one too!

This is the family farm in Ballymacelligot Co Kerry in 1920.

It's almost certainly my great grandmother's 30th wedding anniversary as cameras were rare and everybody's dressed up.

My granduncle Jack, second from left was a great trainer and raised a lot of silverware over the years.

Ballymac Ball and Rathanny Maid spent their early days here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Lovely, grain down for the fowl (a duck with the hens & rooster) to include them in the photo as well. They obviously trusted the greyhound not to chase them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thankfully not colourised.

Lockdowns have been terrible with the glut of poorly colourised photos!

• Advertisement

Great photo, is the old cottage still surviving in any shape?

Like I'm finding out with some of my family photos there is often more to it than meets the eye, great to have the info on the greyhounds and trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My old family photos are extremely thin on the ground, especially before 1940 where they're non-existent, and no one seems to have any photos of my Kerry grandfather who died in the mid 1940s. These days, it seems that every second of every day of every person's life has been photographed, and is in the cloud, but in those days it must have been special occasions only, if they were lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I've got my great grandparents wedding photo taken in 1904. Pity is my great grandfathers birth never seems to have been registered so I don't know who his family were or where he was born. He's not on the 1901 census either.

Actually the old cottage was used as sheds and storage when I was a kid and a bigger house built in front of it.

My uncle built a newer house on the site of that second house in the 1980's, but the old buildings remained and may well still be used as dog housing!

I got to meet almost everybody in that photograph when I was young - even my great grandmother briefly as a toddler.

I've great access to the stories as my father who's now 90 has been living with me for the last few years.

It can be tricky to find records at those times. For a start baptism records for one church may be easily available, but not in the same search as the one down the road. Church records in particular were also tidied up by some registrars and translated into Latin... You might be looking for John, but the written record is down as Joannes for example.

Do you have the approximate date of the wedding? Rough location, names of bride and groom? The marriage certificate might point you back towards the other records, and it may have been witnessed by an older member of the family that might give you a clue.

My father and his brothers in early 1939.

Their uncle was back from America with a camera though had to return abruptly when the emergency broke out.

@Niall_76@niallb They were married in Ballybrack parish church 6th June 1905 (not 1904 like I said) I've contacted the parish, his parents were Mary and John (not very enlightening) his best man was unrelated to him. I traced that man's history to see if he was a cousin or something. He's put City of Dublin as his place of birth on the 1911 census.

Theres a Mary and John that had a son by his name in Dublin in the right time frame but they aren't his family, I've traced them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The fella on the right must be the original metrosexual what with the snazzy manbag

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is a website where you can search civil and church records. I think it is irishgeneralogy.

@Donald Trump I know :) thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As it's a turnstile, it's likely the man taking the entrance fee.

Snazzy manbag and what looks like a saucepan on his head!

These images are all from c. 1940 relating to the Hearts roller hockey team.

My grandfather was part of the Hearts, and they were based out of the "XL Rink, Cabra" which I believe is the Christ The King's Church.

The second bunch of pictures were taken when the team travelled to play in a tournament in Blackrock Co. Louth on Whit Monday 1940.

I know how you feel regarding the lack of photos in rural Ireland back then.

I am lucky that my Meath/Dublin line seemed to have a camera and loved to capture everything, I just with it had been the same for my other family lines.

My grandfather from Clare remembers the Kodak "Box Brownie" camera becoming popular in the 50s, though still few families could afford one. Of his family, we only have 2 or 3 pictures of the generation above him!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Rule of thumb – pre-1900-ish most photographs were taken in studios by professionals. They were not exorbitantly expensive, and often were used to send to relatives ‘back home’ or to those who had gone overseas. Sometimes the clothes worn were supplied by the studio for the event. By 1912 Eastman Kodak had produced a camera (bellows variety) that fitted into a pocket, was easy to use and not costly. About 2 million of them were produced - so an original can be picked up on eBay today for about €50. At the beginning of WW1, newspapers were paying troops for photos from the ‘Front’; that eventually had to be stopped for morale/security/intelligence reasons. After WW1 cameras and processing were relatively cheap and by the 1920’s proliferated.

My father was a keen photographer from his youth, so I have hundreds of family photos. He also gathered family photos from earlier generations so I have one of my father as an infant with his mother and maternal grandmother, The earliest possibly is my paternal greatgreatgrandfather (1825 – 1885). On my maternal line I've fewer, back to the 1920's.

Thankfully most ost of the photos were printed, sometimes glued into albums, but not very frequently had names written on them.

Sad to think that there are gazillions of photos on USBs, old phones, SD cards, etc., that never will see the light of day. Lost visual history, the curse of the digital era!

Possibly the oldest in my collection - he died in 1895

Great picture to have, have you linked this person to your family tree?

I have come acrose one of these for distant grandparents and it almost looks more like a painting than a photo.

Do you know why this is?

I have dozens of photos on my tree. I keep it ‘private’ but have allowed some relatives access /download photos on the basis that they do not put them online. The longer I’ve been involved in family history the more ‘private’ I’ve become as a result of the stupidity of ‘ancestor collectors’ who copy & paste with reckless abandon. DNA has made clarification much easier, but too many just are not interested and prefer to link an incorrect ‘ancestor’ just to get back a few more generations or connect to somebody famous. .  I don’t bother trying to correct stuff anymore.

Re your photo looking like a painting – it’s impossible to say why without seeing it. Background info - film and photographic paper are covered with an emulsion that reacts to light. The thicker the emulsion the better the quality of the image. Different chemicals are used to ‘develop’ and ‘fix’ the images, with washes between each process. Get the balance of chemical content wrong, or do not rinse properly and the result will degrade after several years. B&W processes required just two plus water; early colour required more than 20. I have B&W photos that are >100 yrs old and still perfect, but I have others, colour, from the 1980’s that have degraded to being almost unviewable, even though they were out of the light in an album. Those are from small processors; similar vintage ones processed by 'One Hour Photo' Stephen's Green and Spectra Listowel are still perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kildarejohn

RE your photo looking like a painting - possibly because it is hand painted/re-touched. in my own collection of family photos there are several from c. 1920's which are hand coloured/ re-touched. Could the OP tell us the actual measurements of the photo? In my (limited) experience, all the larger framed photos I have, which are enlargements rather than direct contact prints, are re-touched. In view of the man dying in 1895, its quite likely the original was a tintype or ambrotype or similar, which were direct positive prints, did not use a negative and were quite small. If somebody wanted a copy later, the original small print would have been re-photographed and enlarged and the enlarged print re-touched.

• Advertisement

Thanks KJ - sounds quite feasible. Typo - Ned died in 1885 (not '95) as mentioned in the earlier post. That photo is about 12 x 9 inches. I'd guess it is an original print, as the quality is good; given the era it could be from a large format glass plate. I agree with you on the retouching of RM's photo. I'n no expert either, but as a teenager I used to buy a drum of Ilford HP4, cut it to size, load casettes, develop & print my own B&W films. It was the only way I could afford it.

Advertisement