Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Moss and Grass from Driveway

Options
  • 11-02-2022 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

As title suggests, I need advice for removing Moss and Grass from my mother's driveway, it's a black stone driveway, but the stones losen very easily, so afraid to use power washer

Picture above for a better idea...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

I just use the cheap bleach from Aldi or Lidl, dilute it 50/50 with water and spread it with a watering can. It kills the moss within a couple of days but leave until you have a spell of dry weather before taking a brush to it. Cheap fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭jmreire

Also from Aldi / Lidl, cheapest washing powder you can get, and sprinkle it dry ( on a dry day) and it will have the same effect,,moss turns brown and after a few days, it will brush off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Will those suggestions work for the grass on the right of the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

As this is the same topic, I'm not creating a new thread. This is what the moss is like on my tarmac driveway

I sprayed a generous amount of Gallop, left it a week and then used powerhose (a no-no) and tried with a brush. Didn't remove it. Only realised after Gallop is for weeds, won't do a job on moss.

Would a brush like this do any good or possibly damage the tarmac? https://www.woodies.ie/yardsmith-long-handle-patio-brush-1123051

If not, what's the best way? Washing powder and brush afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

That is more like gravel than tarmac, if it's tarmac it's pretty loose looking stuff, I'd say you'll have to settle for just killing the moss and hope it rots away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭geographica

Yep just make sure it’s the bio vs non bio one

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Either of these PAC cleaners. Just used pro one a couple of weeks ago on two large driveways, all moss brown (except the bits I missed). Tried and failed with the detergent, bleach and other crap previously. This stuff works.

Be interestin

Be interesting to see how long it keeps the moss at bay. Worth a try anyway. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Per a suggestion on here o used bio washing powder from Lidl, our aldi is awkward for me to get to, a d I sprinkled it over moss in front of garage.

Great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,720 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I believe the washing powder should be bio, wherin it contains enzymes, and that it's these that do the deed. At least that's what I use, and it works.

It also works on algae. I have a concrete apron around my house, and with time it goes near black. A couple of months ago I pressure washed one of the worst sections that had actually become spongy under foot with an alagae/proto moss mix, back to bare clean concrete. Just a month or two later and it's green again. I mixed some Lidl bio washing powder with water and used a stiff bristled broom to lightly scrub half of the green concrete to see if it would work. It did, so half the concrete is green tinged and the other is back to clean so I'll do all of it now.

While this might sound like a lot of work, it's quick and easy compared to the effort required with a power washer to get it clean in the first place, which is quite time consuming.

I used a round sweet tin left over from Christmas, after puncturing sever holes in it ( not too many, because it will empty too fast) Then sprinkle the powder as much as you like, and time will do the rest

Yes that should work, and another patio cleaning trick, again with the bio powder, on a dry day, sprinkle a good amount of the Bio in the patio slabs, and leve it there. After a bout 10 days or so ( maybe even less) see how clean the patio will be, even without using a power washer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

I never understand the logic of people who believe that it's a good idea to spread a product (washing detergent) that is designed to break up oil and grease over a surface that is held together with an oil based binder (tarmacadam / bitumen).

You can buy moss killer in any DIY store and it works great both on driveways and for algae on painted walls. And it won't cause your driveway to disintegrate over time!

Advertisement