Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of living

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

10% of the population are renting privately or so (voting population, ie irish/british citziens).

hardly a vote winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,904 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Any reason for that anger? Is it that you are unhappy with the Medical Card criteria, and many are caught having to pay monthly for their scripts instead?

This time last year the cut off for DPS was €114, then went down to €100, and is now €80. And tax relief is available for those paying tax. I pay it and am delighted with the reduction TBH. Hopefully it will go down again bit by bit, as it was outrageous on the usual suspects - the squeezed middle.

Should be a Free Scheme for Cancer patients too, I don't think there is, and some drugs are not included on the DPS, mostly cancer related drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭NSAman

We have been home from the States for a number of weeks.

i am fortunate that I am not on a fixed income, I am fortunate that I am not short of a few Bob. BUT…. Jesus it’s expensive here.

filled the rental car up yesterday (€100), bought oil for the house to top it up (€1000) food a week is about €200 for two people (not including cleaning stuff), don’t even mention the electric bill which has risen dramatically in two years (we have not shopped around yet).

Went to visit mam last night to find her in the dark, saving electricity and it was cool in the house (heating turned way down). Despite assuring her that all her bills will be paid no matter what, she sees the bills and is scared.

i have to say, the costs here if they continue will have a drastic impact on people coming here. I know prices in the States have also sky rocketed, but what I have spent here in a few weeks, would keep me going in the states for almost a year…it’s honestly, shocking !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

600 for electricity?

Oil up $3.50 in NY

alle these band aids will be wiped out by further price hikes. Inflation will keep pushing until the western “needs based welfare” model breaks. Like the 70s

• Advertisement

Now up 4$.

$150 oil is the black swan. Keep pushing till the ecb/fed caves in. They obviously don’t want to, but this will wipe out the investment and sponger class once they do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Went in to hardware this evening 2 4x2 inch timbers 16 foot long, 2 bags of cement 53 euro, poor worker behind the counter was nearly embarrassed telling me the price and these guys get the brunt of it every day from grumpy customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hardly when my home, work and school going child are all in Ireland.

I don't speak Spanish. Should I just drop out of my adult life here, board up the house and move to Spain and get a job that only requires English language?

To thine own self be true

I think its very unfair for people who are just above the cut offs and have to pay for prescriptions - the squeezed middle as you say. At one point the limit for DPS was €144. Its been slashed a few times now.

They will get the €200 energy payment, but the Gov are giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

Not personally affected by DPS, as I have a full medical card, awarded on medical grounds.

I agree there should be a free scheme for cancer patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

There is absolutely no need to have your heat on all day - anyone doing that is nuts (or not wearing any clothes).

An hour here and there is more than enough to heat a home (even mine which has a shocking energy rating). Throw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I’ve my Leaving Cert. That is the only qualification you need to get a civil service job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I'd recommend to anyone to get a ring or nest thermostat installed.

It monitors the temperature and keeps it constant at whatever temperature you like. My bill went way down when I started using one, as I was no longer switching in on when the temp dropped and then forgetting to turn it off - especially overnight, which happened a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,904 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some are elderly and/or cold creatures, some have babies to keep warm, everyone's need for heat is different, but I don't think it is necessary to have heat on all day and night either. Depends also on whether the house is well insulated or not also I suppose, a big issue as we are told constantly.

We two are home all day, and layer up with base layers and fleeces together with warm socks and shoes. It is not as Dickensian as it sounds since the house is well insulated and we get the benefit of sun (when it shines) through the SW facing windows. Heat is on for an hour in the morning, honestly.... and we are not tight or frugal, the house just doesn't feel cold most of the time. Then an hour in the afternoon and two hours at night. Obviously more if it is sub zero. We don't use a timer just a one, two or three hour boost as needed. Best way for us as timing it doesn't always align with our lives!

If you can, get out for an hour long walk in the day, brisk now... it warms you up and keeps the blood flowing. I hope I don't sound like I am lecturing anyone, just saying what works for us, and that may not work for everyone. Having said that, the bills have increased a lot. I am amazed at the add on costs though, often they are nearly as much (not quite though obv.) as the usage, carbon tax, standard charge, VAT and so on whether you use it much or not. That kills me but hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm lucky I dont have a fixed income but it's not much more than average , a tiny mortgage , my wife is my son's carer so I don't have any childcare. I'm not really feeling the pinch, I've seen hardly noticable increases to my shopping, I shop in lidl and Aldi and prices are mostly the same as ever. I got my gas bill there for 2 months 160e, thought that was fine. that's my heating, hot water and cooker. it was a mild enough winter and we were just really economical with turning on the heat but no one froze or anything. My electricity for Dec/jan was only 50 euro more than last year. I suppose where I really feel the difference is diesel. My car insurance went down by 200 euro so that helps.

Cost of goods though is not falling, I'm in purchasing for e-commerce and we have seen 100% price increases vs last year. Freight prices are just not falling and the freight companies are banking ridiculous quarterly profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,611 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Eh, food has gone up a bit. 30c here, 20c there, far less promotions, shrinkflation, usually purchased item absent so you substitute more expensive item, all add up to a higher grocery bill

You do realize Ireland is the most expensive country in the eurozone ??..I don't mind paying an extra 20c as you called it but alot of people are lucky to have 50 euro left at the end of the month after paying all the bills....maby not you ...but there's more people being put under pressure with the cost of living .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭fits

I lived without much money for over 2 years a good while ago. Renting a crappy house and Was in dispute with landlord after previous tenant failed to settle electricity bill and he refused to pay it. Power was cut through no fault of ours. There were weeks also where I could barely afford to eat. Paying motor tax and fuelling car was a huge stretch. Thankfully got into a better place financially but I will never forget what that was like and very much empathise with people feeling the pinch. We are lucky both of us can work as have significant caring responsibilities. Many people can’t. Your family’s health is your wealth.

Our family shopping bill hasnt risen significantly over the last year. What are people buying? do they count the bottles of plonk in their weekly shops? Fixed unit pricing of alcohol having an effect!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've always maintained that people's outlook and political views on life are largely driven by that number that hits their bank account each month. Higher income = less empathy and more snobbery. If you think you are immune to this, try living on the minimum wage or social welfare income for a while, your privileged viewpoints and moral principles will quickly evaporate.

But you won't really understand the true mental anguish of poverty unless you experience it for an extended period of time. The boredom, social exclusion, stigma, lack of clothing, lack of (especially dental) healthcare, lack of holidays, the boring food, depressing living conditions and a feeling of not being in control of your life. These are real problems faced by many, and often for many complex reasons.

Please consider this the next time you vote. Vote on principle. Don't fall for the tax cuts just because you might benefit from them. Think harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Funnily enough, these same people get really upset by the most trivial matters. Oh, little Mary is switching her college course. Oh how terrible! They lack perspective.

They expect us to sympathise with the difficulty of only being able to holiday in Europe this Easter, and yet they think nothing of telling us to ration our heating and tighten our belt.

A mutual friend of mine is genuinely hard-up. She was worried about this man and his wife. Apparently, P&L was down. I had to completely admonish my friend. Poor to her means walking instead of taking the bus/beans on toast. Poor for these people means not upgrading their 2020 Merc Jeep. Yet, my soft-hearted friend falls hook, line and sink for the poor-mouth tale of the rich

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Or has small children or is obsessed with not being cold. Know households where heating is set to be on 24 hours at this time of year. Granted thermostats control that but usage is way higher now than say May or June, not helped by the fact that some people want to be in shorts and t-shirt all year round at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

In fairness, there's quite a lot of fake poverty in this country.

I see it all the time, people who are complaining they can't pay their utilities, but yet have expensive cars, latest smartphone, best clothes etc. You name it they have it. But still classify themselves as part of the working poor.

There's a huge problem of keeping up with the jone's in this little nation of ours. As a result, many people cannot tell the difference between an essential expense and a luxury expense anymore. The lines have been blurred in this regard for many people.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I hate how fg keep getting rewarded for all the pain they're inflicting on people. In government 11 years now. Whatever about other parties but I hate to see failure being rewarded.

You have to laugh though. Inflation hits five percent and government bring in emergency measures to bring it down.

Yet up until this year they supported a 4% increase in rent every year where rents were already astronomical. Explain that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Spoiled as a nation.

Think we have it so hard yet have no idea how good it is compared to most countries.

I mean name another country where you get handed the keys to a brand new fully furnished 3 bed house for 40 euro a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What's with the focus on pensioners? In my view pensioners are the most well off group in the country!

No mortgage. 250 a week pension. Loads of allowances, electricity and gas allowance, fuel allowance, no TV licence fee, no commuting costs, free public travel, no car debt probably.

Always loads of money left in the bank to leave to children when they die.

Had to get a plumber to fix my valve, 3 week wait. Not enough plumbers around. Guy’s in 50k + weekend cash in hand mate jobs.

As long as there’s such a shortage Inhave very little sympathy for the less well off. This isn’t the recession 2012, there’s literally and endless stream of well paying jobs out there. All it takes an ounce of willingness to better yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Kids are forced to attend university instead of training for a plumbing job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Who2

A lad said to me one day to turn the trades into a five year degree and they will be queuing up for them. There are loads going for electrical with a share going for plumbing but going forward the other trades have nearly stopped.

Advertisement