Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I got ripped off!

Options
  • 09-02-2022 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

I have a conservatory that has a good bit on condensation, damp window sills and mould.

I got a guy out to have a look. (Difficult to get someone to come around)

he said the lead cover between the wall of the house and the conservatory had some cracks in it and was probably the cause of the issues.

there was also a crack on the outside plastic covering along the front.

I wanted to get someone around just to have a look and give me a quote.

The guy who came had two workers with him. He said he could sort it all out for €700 but only if we did it there and then as he had the two lads with him. He said it wouldn’t pay him to come back again to do it.

under pressure, as I though of how difficult it was to get anyone to come in the first place, I agreed.

I have attached pictures and would love to get some opinions as to how much you think the job was worth.

They just plastered over the lead cover with some sort of what looks like a cement sealer and then got a sealant gun to seal in the crack along the plastic cover.

Took them around 2 hours.

For me, €700 seems excessive but would love to hear others opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Allinall

If it fixes the problem then it's great value.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If you’ve been charged €700 for two hours work you’ve paid far in excess of any fair rate that tradespeople would charge.

The guy who came had two workers with him. He said he could sort it all out for €700 but only if we did it there and then as he had the two lads with him. He said it wouldn’t pay him to come back again to do it.

this bit rings alarm bells and I hope you haven’t been stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

If someone else would do the same job for half the price then its not great value even if it did fix the problem.

The worse thing about it is that it didn't actually fix the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Any amount of money can be considered a rip off if the problem wasn't fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

The approach by the workers clearly shows they are not tradesman.

Sunrooms suffer from condensation often because the hot air coming from your house rises and hits that cold glass roof, as it cools it releases moisture and then drips down. I can't for the life of me see how plastering over lead flashing will help in the slightest. A better idea would be to open the windows in the sunroom when the sun is shining on it. Installing roof blinds can help too & also help in summer in keeping the room temperature lower

• Advertisement
Advertisement