Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Solar panels installation for hipped roofs

Options
  • 08-02-2022 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Have a hip roof and finding that the dimensions of various solar panels combined with the surrounding space to ridge and eaves can result in only being able to fit 4-5 panels with a max output of 1.7-1.8Kw. Normally this wouldn't be enough to justify the cost of putting them on the roof of a two story house, however since we already need some work done on the roof, the cost of the scaffolding is already a sunk cost. It seems like it might be worth considering based on this depending on how much can be installed.

After a couple of general quotes the main limitation appears to be around the hip roof limits how many panels can be installed. For most of the larger panels can only fit 3 on the bottom and 1 or 2 on the row above due where the ridge runs. If we had a gable end, a 4x2 layout would have been possible.

I've located a solar panel supplier that does a selection of different sized panels, including a triangular one that can be combined to fit better for hipped roofs. Looks like when combined would result ~2.3Kw - https://www.trienergia.com/en/ (https://designer.trienergia.com/ allowed me to experiment using approximate measurements). Unfortunately, they don't have any distributor or installers that they are partnered with in Ireland. So this means ordering direct and finding an installer who will fit.

Also like to avail of the SEAI grant for solar if possible.

• Are there any other panel suppliers that offer the combination of various shapes (rectangular, square, and triangular) to better fit roofs with different shapes that already have installers in Ireland?
    • Is there installers for the West of Ireland that would take panels shipped in from the Italian company and install them or somewhere I can quickly contact multiple installers in one go instead of trying to go through them each to see who would do this? (I'm assuming identifying who would do this type of work isn't asking for a recommendation? if it is please use DMs)

Advertisement