Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A month in to a VLCKD ("Very Low Calorie Keto Diet") - my observations

Options
  • 08-02-2022 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

With a view to losing some weight, I am about a month into a managed diet eating mostly protein-enriched / carb-depleted foods, and vegetables.

• It is strict; this is a plus and a minus. The strictness means that some activities (dinner with friends, drinks, etc) are complete out of the picture, but the strictness also means there is no ambiguity. It's easy, very little subjectivity needed.
    • It is expensive; buying the food is expensive. While of course it is possible to do most of the work yourself, I guess most of the people considering VLCKD-type diets have accepted that cooking discipline is difficult to sustain (it was for me).
    • It is quick; I did not intend taking this path at first, but I was convinced by a colleague that starting a weight-loss journey with some relatively quick losses can be very motivating. I was doubtful, but now after 4 weeks I agree.
    • It is easier for some; I like vegetables, I like a bit of cooking, I work at home all day... this makes it a lot easier for me relatively speaking. If I was commuting into the city it would be nigh-on impossible to sustain it I reckon.
    • I eat frequently; my diet is basically 3 meals and 3 snacks per day, meaning I'm munching about every 3 hours or so. Eating nothing between breakfast - lunch - dinner would be impossible for me to sustain. I'm lamping into the coffees and zero-calorie sodas too, for better or worse.
    • I'm not that hungry; the doc assures me that ketosis suppresses hunger, and this seems to be true despite being on c. 1k calories per day.

The last two points are critical for me. I can't deal with hunger or big gaps between eating because of how I work.

This is not advice, talk to your doctor etc, but its something I'd not previously considered when trying to lose weight due to skepticism about the ketosis science... but it is working for me.

Note for mods; I read the charter and don't believe I am in breach of anything posting this. I'm posting as I haven't found much here about keto for beginners so thought it might help others. I prefer not to share who my practitioner / doctor is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Wish you luck! Choose coffee beans wisely. There lots of coffee beans with mold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

If your doing keto your not counting calories. Eat fattier cuts of meats, green veg and try cut out the snacking. Your body doesn't need to eat 3 meals a day plus snacks. If you can start cutting out times when you eat your body is getting more adapted to fat burning. If you can get your eating down over time intermitent fasting of some sort on top of keto is a great way to burn more fat. Keto isn't really expensive and your eating real food not crap from a package made in a factory. Don't forget exercise aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

" Your body doesn't need to eat 3 meals a day plus snacks."

• Yes of course I know this, but it wants to. So I let it. Snacking suits my lifestyle and work habits, so for the moment it is part of my longer term plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,104 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If he is doing a VLCD he needs to count calories.

Op two points stood out to me;

It is expensive; buying the food is expensive. While of course it is possible to do most of the work yourself, I guess most of the people considering VLCKD-type diets have accepted that cooking discipline is difficult to sustain (it was for me).

It's going to be expensive per calorie or whatever. But eat so much less has to be a lot cheaper really.

I eat frequently; my diet is basically 3 meals and 3 snacks per day, meaning I'm munching about every 3 hours or so. Eating nothing between breakfast - lunch - dinner would be impossible for me to sustain. I'm lamping into the coffees and zero-calorie sodas too, for better or worse.

How big are there meals/snacks? Must be tiny if you are maintaining a VLCD.

What sort of dailt deficit are you maintaining? How is the weight loss to date?

Each meal (and snack) is about 150-175 calories each.. some meals are a bit bigger, some snacks are a bit smaller.

I am doing about 1000 calories a day, approximately a 1,800 - 2,000 daily calorie deficit.

I've lost 1.75 stone in first month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

"It is strict; this is a plus and a minus. The strictness means that some activities (dinner with friends, drinks, etc) are complete out of the picture, but the strictness also means there is no ambiguity. It's easy, very little subjectivity needed."

Best of luck but it's worth considering if something that impacts your social life that much is worth it / a sustainable long term solution. Good nutrition does not have to be a misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

The human body works on rewards and punishments. And if exposed to addictive substances (e.g. refine sucrose) for a prolonged period it starts malfunctioning. And the only way to fix is strict control.

After I lose weight, I will need to adjust to learning to sustain my weight at the new level. I'm taking the time to learn what I like/want and what my body needs, and hopefully will end on something sustainable including alcohol, bernaise sauce, and the occasional five guys.

The stats on people's likelihood of weight regain after restrictive diets aren't on your side, but I hope you're right

• Advertisement

I understand that. I'm basically doing what I never thought I'd do; however I've not found the diet too restrictive, and I'm taking the time to learn about nutrition and diet, and the impact on my weight, to give myself a shot. The one thing I'll say is that the rapid loss is pretty bloody addictive and compelling. A lot of travel planned in next two months, so plenty of opportunities to make good choices but still be eating and drinking outside of the restrictive diet I'm currently on. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Xander10

There are 4 things incorrect in those first 2 sentences. Impressive.

While that's clearly true. And a part of it is down to those diets not building good habits. But another aspect is people not aware that some weight is expected due to refueling, rehydrating etc. So that they put on 6 lbs in a week, they give up and give in the old diet.

I'm talking about people falling off the wagon altogether and returning to their previous weight or heavier. Which is unfortunately the majority of restrictive dieters.

I got that’s what you referee you. I’m suggest that people putting on 6lb in a week and think it’s fat gain is likely contributing to faking off the wagon.

whereas if they know it’s not far, and expect it, then it’s easy to prepare and accept.

Update on thread: now just shy of 4 stone down (been around 3.5-3.75 stone down since mid-May and have been maintaining since then).

Big learning for me is the daily fluctuation in weight due to carb intake. You eat a few hundred g of carbs and boom - you are 2kg heavier the next morning. Understanding that most of that is water - and none of that is fat - has been a big learning for me. Realising that it takes over 6000 excess calories to put on a single kilo in fat, has been a big learning for me.

Having seen others work through this, as suggested above I see two big challenges;

• Has a big weekend (pizza, beer, etc) and feels "I'm off the wagon may as well just give up"
    • Has a big weekend (pizza, beer, etc) and weights 3-4 kilos heavier on Monday and feels "just after one weekend? This is impossible."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I did the Newcastle diet a few years ago as part of an effort to improve my insulin response. (Type 1.5 diabetes)

I did 12weeks total and it was hard. I was limited to 800cals a day and I managed fairly well with a combo of steamed veg, with butter over top 😉and Protein shakes with a scoop of psyllium husk.

I was medically supervised doing this and it did gain me some big improvements. I managed to come insulin for over 2 years and lost quite a bit of weight, the majority of which stayed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Juran

Well done 3DataModem !!

4 stone is a lot. Can I ask, what was starting weight? Do you have more to lose?

Tell us what changes you've noticed in your life ? I'm on a weighloss journey, started recently, and I need the most motivation I can find. Reading positive stories really help me I notice.

Started at 136kg now at about 111kg. Still a few kg to go.

Biggest difference is obviously appearance, clothes, etc. Just feels good to not be as fat a f**k anymore. Also Sleep Apnoea pretty much gone.

Well done, keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 MrNutrient

That's right, calorie count isn't of much worth on keto, and fat is good not bad on keto. Meats and seafood have zero to very, very low carbs, so eat plenty of each. Choose your veggies based on net carbs: the listed grams of carbs minus the listed grams of fiber. Makes a big difference, as some vegetables that seem fairly high in carbs really aren't when you subtract out the fiber.

To me carbs & alcohol have beeb rootcause of not being able to lose weight in recent years.

I've been doing OMAD for 4 weeks exactly, started 30th Oct. A good home made non processed meal.in the early evening (minimum carbs, lots of veg and lean meat or fish), with a homemade protein shake with frozen berries/banana, multivitamin supplements, a fibre drink plus over 2 hours walks a day. If I feel like something sweet after dinner, I suck on a half square of 85% aldi dark choc. The size of a stamp is enough. And coffee, tea, water during the day. I did not drink any alcohol during this time. I lost 24 lbs in 4 weeks. The first week was mainly water that came off quickly as I was bloated after a weeks holiday away where too much bread, pasteries and alcohol was consumed. The next 3 weeks has been 3 to 4 lbs per week. I expect that to slow to 2-3 lbs per week going forward. I am starting swimming and light weights to build muscle and increase cardio.

If I eat carbs in the form of bread, processed sugar food eg. Biscuit, crackers, choc bars, or alcohol .. it makes me hungry. When I eat clean on OMAD, I dont get that hungry. I am motivated to keep this lifesytle up, and once I get to my goal weight in about 6 to 9 months time I will contiune it week days at least.

Started at 17 st. 11 lbs. Goal is to get to under 11 stone, close to 10 st, and get fit and stronger. I'm a tall female.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Is this still ongoing? Would love an update as im starting out on similar myself right now.

Better living everyone

I did two bouts of keto last year, fantastic system. I lost a total of 4 stone, put one stone back on gradually, and have held steady at that level for a long time. I may do another 4 week VLKD bout but I travel so much it is a little difficult to do VLKD but it is definitely possible to keep calories down anywhere and everywhere with the lessons learned from the process. A thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Good to hear, im gonr animal based/carnivore myself. I have 6-8 stone to lose ive lost 2kg in the first week already if i can keep a steady loss of 1-2kg/ week ill have a lot lost by the time the years out.

Better living everyone

Sustaining it for that number of months is difficult, the very best of luck. Focus on learning how food affects your body, what foods really have in terms of calories and nutrition, and ensure whatever diet you have allows scope to occasionally blow the doors off in Eddie Rockets or whatever or life will be miserable.

Advertisement