Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padlock seized

Options
  • 07-02-2022 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I bought a Tessi oil tank padlock about 18 months ago and it has completely seized. Need oil but can't open the lock. I have given it a complete WD40 but no joy. What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭sniperman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

You would be a fair while at that. I cannot find the manufacturer details online.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Try using olive or vegetable oil. Either of these are better on locks anyway. WD-40 tends to rust everything.

How long is it since you put the WD-40 on it. It might work are 24-48 hours. Spray it on it again and see if that works

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Another option is to leave the lock submerged in oil for a day or 2 to really let the oil get into the inner workings. Might be tricky to submerge the lock but perhaps a plastic sandwich bag filled with oil might do the trick. If you can get the key to twist then a good bang of a hammer will open the lock.

Anyway a big hacksaw or bolt cutters will deal with that lock.

You would want a fair lump of a bolt cutters to cut that, I am not sure if a hacksaw will cut it. If you cannot open or HS/ BC fails get your hands on a battery angle grinder. use a few fire blanket to keep sparks from tank.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Who manufactures Tessi locks does anyone know? I searched online but couldn't find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

What i would do is get a plastic bag put some diesel in and tie it to the function part of the lock with a piece of string totally submersing the lock in the diesel... leave a few days.... also assuming its rust vinegar is good...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most locks are surprisingly easy to hacksaw off. Failing that use a grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SloppySkidMark

Yea you'd have that off in 30 seconds with a bolt cutter or grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

Is there a port on the tank for a measuring device? If so you could get a fill through that. It could get you some extra time to fix lock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"90mmm Oil lock with zinc alloy body with a double ball locking mechanism." So probably easier to cut the lock body. Or drill it away from the shackle and ball bearings.

Immersion in paraffin is great stuff for rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

GT 85 has gottten seized padlocks open for me. If after a good spray you can't at least get the key in so you can work it, you might have to chop it.

WD 40 is a Water Displacement fluid and is the opposite of a lubricant as it will act as a degreaser and remove any lubricant.

Use propper ss and brass marine padlocks for anywhere exposed to the weather. Burg are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What is the point of having a lock on an oil tank?

Maybe locking the lid to stop people putting dirt or water into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My recent fill cost €895

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

If someone is coming with sufficient equipment to remove a full tank of oil, I’d be pretty sure they’ll have a drill and hole bore bit also to go through the plastic tank, so you’ll have to replace the tank also!

There is an old saying ''A lock only stops an honest man''. While a lock will not stop an organised thief, it wi;ll stop an oppoutunist or prevent a lad checking how much oil is in it

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement