Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aggravated burglary in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You’ve never encountered/witnessed an incident where somebody was behaving in an appalling manner but thought that their actions were completely justified? Count yourself lucky but it will happen you sooner or later.

No I have, and I have also been that person. But in each case everyone was aware what was right/ wrong from a legal perspective. It was a question whether or or not you’d heed this or not.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

This poor man got an awful beating. In his prime he was a strong man, and maybe 10 years ago even in his 60's he'd have fended these scum off. Apparently they jump on his chest, broke his ribs, broke both eye sockets and tied his laces forcing him to crawl out to the road.

Genuinely believe that there needs to be a MINIMUM sentence of 10-15 years for burglary and assault without a serious deterrent this will never stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I hadn't read those details, that's truly harrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Remember the funerals of the three scumbags in Tallaght? Every one of the funerals was a glorification of their life of crime robbing people in their home.

Gifts like screwdrivers and gloves brought up as gifts on the altar not to mention the specially designed banner “you know the score,get on the floor,don’t be funny,give me the money “

One girl from the altar described Deano as a f@cing legend. Clearly a lot of that community had no problem with those boys chosen career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

I live in an area that had a by-election last year. A Senior FG Minister called to my house with his by-election chum in tow.

I challenged him on why FG were no longer the party of law and order and he feigned surprise at me saying that. I pointed out continuous stories in the paper of criminals with 70,80, 90+ convictions getting bale and suspended sentences and that while our population has grown by approx 1m over the past 20 years or so, no new prisons had bene built. Keeping criminals out on the street seemed to be the policy which of course benefited his by-election chum in his day job.

Well, the 2 of them were very taken aback at this. There was no law and order problem in this country and it wasn't an issue that anyone was speaking about to them on the doors. The Senior FGer even said as he walked away that building a new prison would be at the bottom of any list of to do's that he would prioritise in an FG govt.

That's FG for you...in Govt for 10yrs plus and apparently a centre-right party according to some

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Politicians cannot interfere in the judiciary. It is part of the separation of powers enshrined in the Constitution.

Politicians can however pass legislation which the judiciary has to implement. But the judiciary can also strike down that same legislation if they find it to be unconstitutional or in conflict with EU rules.

But they can not, and should not attempt to, put any sort of pressure on judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Hodger

They might not be able to put pressure on Judges but if they can make certain to things like for example the lenient bail laws as many people will be aware the two young fellows charged with attacking the teenage girl who may lose her eye are already out on bail if changes can be made or amended to our bail laws where people charged with such an attack cant come out on bail and have to be held somewhere until trial it would be a welcome start.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ballyfermot-assault-case-dublin-court-25882308

• Advertisement

Whenever the next national election is held I fully Intend on asking whoever comes to canvass my door if they plan on making any changes to our lenient laws on bail and lack of proper sentencing and if they have any plans to build more prisons so there will be more room space to Imprison scumbags who commit such crimes .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Who appointed the judge for the Father Niall Molloy case? The same person that appointed the judge for the Stardust Tribunal.!! Appointed specifically to bring back the preferred verdict. And "politicians cannot interfere in the judiciary" Pull the other one. By law they cannot, but when did the law ever apply to people like the great C.J. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Imagine the kids and teenagers at that funeral hearing all that shite and aspiring to be the next hero Deano.!! These scum were absolute Gods in their community.

The outrage is strong in your post. However, outrage is of no relevance here. Your politician can make laws. They have no power over the judiciary and would be fairly quickly put back in their box should they step out of their box in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,985 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Judges handing out prison sentences is not working imo. Firstly our prisons are all over capacity and everyone knows you would be very unlucky to serve even half your sentence. Secondly does anyone think people leave prison rehabilitated or ready to join a normal working society, I don't think so. More like dependent on drugs and plenty of more scum contacts made inside and ready to start their crime exploits again. And last the prisons are probably keeping them fed and in better conditions than they would have at home. I don't think the current prison system is a deterrent.

We actually don't have lenient bail laws, you must remember to actuaily keep someone in prison without conviction is a very serious thing. Innocent until proven guilty.

I believe that the reduction of Gardai and Garda stations in small rural areas has had a massive effect on rural crime in the last ten years or so. (That and our better road network)

Criminals know that there are no Gardai for miles, and not only that but years ago the local Gardai lived in an area, they cared about the community and they knew everybody in it. the majority could be called on, even when off duty to assist in matters in their own locality. A stranger or strange car would be noticed. This has been taken out if the community, less people look out for each other, people are more inclined to mind their own business now.

Terrible thing to happen to this man, really terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Yes the coming of the Motorways is probably the biggest factor in the increase in rural crime in the last decade. Entire swaths of the country suddenly became a little more than an hour from the criminal gangs of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Its not just the criminal gangs in Dublin , theres plenty in rural Ireland of a certain background who case houses and businesses for their relations from other areas. Limerick in particular has a high number of these individuals - same story out the county - no guards or guards who hide from these criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Yes just watch the burglary rate in the south west sky rocket whenever the Cork to Limerick motorway gets built.

I have noticed recently that there seems to be lot more activity around motorway bridges. It seems criminals are meeting their getaway cars at these bridges rather than coming off at junctions where they could be picked up by CCTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Another assault last night on older man...one word...scum....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I'd like to see you be that nonchalant if it was your dad or grandfather. Clown.

The usual argument used by people who think everyone must share their family values.

This can be discussed without bringing emotions into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Whilst there is an Operation Thor that does catch a small amount of these roving Burglars more garda resources need to be put into catching these perpetrators not alone in the Sligo case but in many other cases.

These criminals are also up to their eyes in dealing cocaine in rural ireland and often pressurize addicts indebted to them to give them names of people whod be soft touchs locally worth robbing .who they pass onto their relations from some other part of the country .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

The constitution is not immutable. It's within our power to amend it, and regain control over the judiciary.

Unfortunately tfor yourself, there are too many people who actually have a basic understanding of how things work and why they are like that. You won't find enough outraged people to effect your proposals. Even with Facebook not following through on their bluff

Back a few months ago on a local history facebook group someone posted a photo of a well known guy in the town paying tribute to him as a local legend and local character etc. This post got well over 100 to 200 likes with comments praising him. The well known guy has multiple convictions for various things Burglary/ assault / grievous body harm / public order offences plus a number of other things. How I know he mas multiple convictions the details of his last court case are available online which list out some of his previous convictions but to go back to the photo being posted paying tribute to him looking at it Im honestly baffled as to how some people could view him as some sort of local legend given the various things he has done over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

We are far too soft on scum.

Anyone convicted of this type of rule doesn't deserve the oxygen the rest of us law abiding citizens use.

Ship them out to spike Island. And ensure they can't leave, they don't have any human rights anymore.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the old "You don't understand, therefore there's no point in pointing out or discussing clear deficiencies in what we're talking about".

The motor industry exists for one reason. To make profit. Same with REITs, same with electronic manufacturers and same with the legal industry.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of clever minds when it comes to law. But they're self-AHEM-"regulated" and there's no reason to believe that they, by default, would prefer a more streamlined, efficient (less work and money) legal system. And of course the judiciary is completely separate from politics. That's what we're supposed to believe.

We see the bullshit all the time. It's going to take 3 months or whatever to pay out the money for the energy subvention (which is a stupid idea to begin with) because ya know, it takes that long to pass laws and authorise funding. Except when they feel like it they can open a programme to hundreds of thousands of people and start paying out €100 million a week in the space of a week or 2. There's a statutory time limit on something? OK but we're gonna miss it and not allow an appeal on those grounds because we say so. But another judge might say something different, either way we get paid.

Laws matter when they're followed. It's a pity so much of the middle of society do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement