Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Digging Lawn for Permeable Driveway, How Deep?

• 05-02-2022 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Digging my small front garden up to put in an extra parking spot. Just wondering how deep should I dig?

I am now 20cm down below the height of the tarmac for the existing parking spot.

I havent hit any rock yet, however would that be a sufficent depth to now fill in with stone before putting the top with either tarmac or some other permeable surface?

On the permeable surface, whats the best material to finish off the top for the parking spot, is tarmac the handiest?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Usually for a driveway 225mm deep compacted hardcore substrate.

Gravel is usually the cheapest permeable surface. Regular/standard tarmac is not permeable but there is such a thing as permeable tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭theboss.com

How deep does the gravel or tarmac have to be on top then? If you use gravel, do you also have to compact this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

225mm hardcore for the base, plus the topping.

What is your permeable topping? Standard tarmac isn't permeable (nor is it tarmac for that matter). You cold do gravel, but would want to consider how it looks next to existing driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

804 for the base . Depths as above. And top up with 50-70mm of colour stone of your choice. Look for tonne bags from nearby supplier.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Usually gravel layer is 40/50mm thick installed on layer of compacted quarry dust over the hardcore.

Not sure about overall depth of tarmac but usually around 50mm thick with base layer and top layer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement