Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Compression for Email

Options
  • 04-02-2022 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I need to send a video (mp4) to a relative which is of size 140Mb - so above the limit for most transfer systems. Unfortunately the recipient is elderly or I don't want to use Dropbox or anything like that.

What I want to know is whether there is a way to compress this file sufficiently to send via email? Is my only option to send a Google Photos link and limit access to that single email address?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Could upload it to YouTube and keep the link private?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

There is free apps that will do this on the playstore.

My brother had to it to a few videos he had to send to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks - would you know the names by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

I can't quite remember which one was used but if you search for video compressor in app store you will see what's available. A good rating and amount of Downloads are a good indicator as to which app to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

mp4 is already a compressed format and will not be compressable significantly or at all any further. You could reprocess the video into a smaller resolution or lesser quality format with something like 'handbrake' but you will not achieve much trying to compress the existing video file itself.

Alternatively you can split the file into smaller chunks and send multiple emails. But if your relative can't operate dropbox or such they probably won't be able to piece it together either.

Your best bet is to upload this video somewhere where it can be accessed by your relative and email them a download link. So we're back to dropbox or such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Make it easy for them. Upload it to youtube and only make it viewable from that link and send them that link.

They prob won't know how to play a video whereas youtube is just clicking a link and it will work. No need to worry about downloading VLC or settings or converting.

So if they look on a phone or tablet it will also play.

Advertisement