Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High volume flush toilet

Options
  • 04-02-2022 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can recommend an old style toilet where the volume flush was much greater than the typical eco flush toilet nowadays?

Previous owners made a balls of many aspects of building this house and sewage pipes are another one , I find myself using sewer rods about three times per year but was told a higher volume flush would help .

I know toilets of old used double the volume of water

Recommendations welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bigger cistern basically?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm pretty sure hotels and commercial premises have larger than domestic but no idea how easy they are to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You'd need to replace the toilet too. As we reduced the amount of water used to flush a toilet they made toilet bowls to suit less water flushing. If you put a 10 gallon cistern on a modern toilet, the water won't flow though it fast enough most likely.

As for where you would get, that's a good question. I'm not sure you can buy them now. Simplist thing is to go to a plumbing trade counter and see if they can order one in for you.

If all else fails places like Mac's Salvage in Islandbridge Dublin may sell them 2nd hand

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've two screws at the bottom of the cistern and while they appear tight ,I've a leak, will regular silicone do to seal around the washers where screw goes through?

Removed toilet yesterday and put back, no problem bar this ,it's an extremely slow leak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Careful if you just use a bigger cistern, if you're toilet blocks it could overflow.

Get a silicone that you can use on wet surfaces. Takes a bit longer to set but should seal the two screws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

got that leak sorted with silicone and toilet worked fine for ten days but had another block today , took out pipes externally ( 1970,s bungalow so not exactly a perfectly subtle finish ) and what was blocking the toilet was nothing bar some toilet tissues and not even a large amount.

honestly think the design of the toilet is the problem , the area where waste escapes to the drain pipe must be too thin or restrictive , i think this is the issue rather than the flush volume

anyone got any recommendations for a toilet with a more open neck between bowl and sewer pipe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Is it from B&Q ??

Have one from there and it's on the list for being changed. Few bits of toilet paper is enough to block it. Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

You can increase the volume by fitting a pipe on the overflow pipe at least that’s what I did when installing a new toilet last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Advertisement