Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politicians mouthing off about energy prices

Options
  • 03-02-2022 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

The usual crew SF/IRA, Mouth Murphy, Shorthall etc all mouthing off about cost of electricity and gas.

Surely if they actually cared about their constituents they'd be shouting loudly about how easy it is to switch supplier and the massive savings that are there.

I switched from energia to electric Ireland today (out of contract since Monday) in about 90 seconds online. Didn't even need a meter reading as it's a smart meter.

So if these mouthy politicians really cared, they'd be shouting about changing supplier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The carbon tax and levy's are the same no matter who you are with, these are all within the governments power to reduce or remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The savings by switching are multiples of the carbon tax and levies.

Electric Ireland rate today is 17.74 incl vat

Energia standard rate 31.90 incl vat

44% savings

Pso levy is less than a fiver a month

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is this thread a weird advert for Electric Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

But if you have already switched you can't remove the carbon tax and the levy's, they are a large part of the problem. Anyone who hasn't already switched is an idiot with money to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I switched over to airtricity about 10 years back and if anything my bills went up, eventually switched back to electric ireland

*anyway its the current price of oil thats causing this spike, fek all anyone can do about it

• Advertisement

What I don't understand is how energy price increases is considered a "crisis".

Let's not forget that almost everyone can afford it; it's not a crisis.

And those who claim not to afford it generally have no problem over-consuming takeaways, alcohol, and cigarettes. Often refusing to find work, too. It's a crisis of choice for them, due to bad money management.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see the cost of borrowing has begun it's upwards trajectory and appears to signal the end of the era of cheap money.

This country can not afford the damage being done to it with green policies whether it is energy, infrastructure or taxes and we will end up in a sorry situation.

The next national economic crisis is being bred right now just as it was in the early 2000's.

Ireland is heading to an energy crisis. We won't have enough energy, electricity and we won't have enough natural gas due to green policies.

This country will be 100% reliant and thus hostage to others due to this stupidity with our own resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Quick run out now a buy that low model electric car for 45k

You don't have much life experience, do you.

Do you hold down a job yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

For every litre of diesel / petrol sold the goverment get well over 80cent ....there's a lot that can be done by reducing carbon tax, excise duty, VAT etc. etc. A litre of diesel / petrol is cheaper than bottler water in this country before taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is really not a huge difference between suppliers they have all been increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I’ve switched every year for years, I’m convinced all I’m really doing is at best running to stand still when you take into account the increases year on year

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It can but bonkers.ie and site like that take that into account. I moved to Energia not that long back but they have creeped up as well

• Registered Users Posts: 39,610 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes yes, soaring energy prices only effect the manufactured bogeyman in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

So you have a problem with the crowd who are "mouthing off" but not the politicians actually increasing the cost of energy through carbon tax?

You switch every year to get your electrons magically from a different source and your bill on a PDF with a different logo on it. It's a joke of a system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Suppose this is why politicians don't talk sense...

Gutter journalism puts up an incorrect headline and tries to lambast him for urging people to shop around (and save hundreds for a few minutes work)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

All energy companies attract new customers by offering a switch to a discounted 1 year rate. The difference between them in this regard is negligible.

What's indisputable is that energy costs have exploded over the past year - electricity, home heating oil, petrol/diesel, briquettes, you name it.

To say people should shop around is highly insulting. It's easy to come out with that horse-sh*t when you're on a minister's wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭malinheader

Heard his car crash interview yesterday. Only thing I was sorry about was when he was asked about his salary that he declared on air he didn't in turn ask the sympathetic rte presenter what her salary was. I bet it was on par or more than his. These presenters are ad much out of touch with people's issues as the politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

For the past decade most Irish politicians have been actively supporting measures to restrict the publics ability to consume primary sources of energy by means of legislation that they have passed and by their silence when they have not objected (e.g. climate emergency was passed by 6 TDs! where were the rest?). The stated intention of government policy is to force most of the population to consume its energy via secondary source (i.e electricity). Irish politicians are not unique in this regard, across the EU the attitude is the same. They have involved magical thinking that they can charge this electrical system with sunshine and breezes and running extension cords to the neighbours, while at the same time shutting down reserve generating capacity. Because of the random unreliable nature of these sources, they need gas generation to make up the shortfalls and maintain grid stability and most countries across the EU are following the same blueprint, this means that there is greater demand for electricity and greater demand for natural gas. There is greater demand for materials (Copper, Lithium, Cobalt, Steel, neodymium and others) to build the infrastructure and batteries for this electric future, that cost is being underwritten by subsidy to the random generators (constraint payments) and the gas generators (capacity payments), all of which accumulates in our electricity bills. The reason energy prices have gone so high so quickly in the last 12 months has been a decade in the making due to collective decisions made by our political class right across the EU.

• An extended cold Spring in 2021 meant gas supplies were needed to keep warm.
    • Little wind during Summer 2021 meant gas supplies were needed to keep the grid running.
    • Autumn rolls around, the inventory needed to be filled with gas supplies, everyone had the same idea an once . . . .

Anyone heard of diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) commonly referred to as AdBlue. It is a mixture of urea and distilled water, essentially it's liquid fertiliser. How is urea made? good question. Fertiliser prices have shot up 250% in the last 12 months.

• More gas needed for electricity and heating = less gas available for fertiliser and other uses.
    • Less fertiliser = reduced food supply = increased costs = supply destruction.
    • Less DEF = increased costs and restrictions for food transport and production who use diesel engines.
    • 2 years of Covid lockdowns = disruption and destruction of supply chains.
    • Negative interest rates since 2014 = destruction of sovereign debt markets for EURO area countries = destruction of pension funds = vulture funds chasing yield in property market.
    • Classic inflation spiral, who gets the new money first? They get the spending power, and the end of the chain we get the new prices.

Classic inflation spiral, cumulative effects of a decades policies coming home to roost.

How to trade this: Go long Aran sweaters 🙂

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,931 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What are your thoughts about a FF Junior minister mouthing off about people complaining about the cost of living generally, he made quite the ejit out of himself, this the same minister earning €140k PA and the one who's promised so much re insurance cost reforms and has delivered exactly NOTHING. I'm embarrassed to say he's one of my local TD'S. 🙄

But dealing with the main point, It is not as straightforward as you might think changing providers generally, on the topic of Utilities, perhaps your not aware all suppliers have hiked up prices. I took a look at Bonkers.ie who essentially told me I was bonkers to even consider changing. A low usage customer, I actually pay more in Levies and Standing charges than I do for electricity (Something Government can address to the moaning electorate). Not a single new supplier could offer ME a cheaper deal, one was actually quoting €230 more per annum. As has also been correctly stated carbon taxes don't suddenly dissappear on moving suppliers.

Just to end, another little nugget some may not be aware of, Rural customers are also being gouged with higher standing charges, apparently a legacy charge from the days the ESB crews operated from horse and carts. Its disgraceful in 2022 rural customers continue to be discriminated against.

Morning rant and clarification over 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement