Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentists cover on Medical Card

Options
  • 03-02-2022 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Does anyone know any Dentist(s) in Dublin-15 who accept Medical Card for treatment? I rang two of them I used in past (Pre Covid) are not giving treatment or cover on Medical Card instead ask for Private Treatment Fee saying below: "The Government is not providing PPE for medical card treatments and unfortunately it is not possible for us to cover the additional cost whilst ensuring the practice remains open to treat patients in the long term."

As per HSE : All medical card holders are entitled to specific dental treatments e.g., a dental examination, two fillings in each calendar year, extractions as necessary.

Also per PRSI Dental Benefits as working Employee, only A Free Exam and Teeth Cleaning can be done by paying €15 But PRSI doesn't cover other Teeth treatment.

If there is any Dentist in this group may explain how and where to get most from Medical Card for Teeth treatment. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You'll probably get a better response to your questions on the dental forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

OP, I'm sorry to say that regardless of what entitlements the HSE state are available on the medical card scheme , it's utterly meaningless at the moment.

Your probably not aware but many, many dentists have left the scheme due to a long running dispute with the HSE, those few that remain on the scheme are only dealing with existing patients and NOT taking any new medical card patients. It's difficult enough to actually find a dentist, let alone one that cares for Medical card holders.

The Irish Dental Association briefly mentions the on going dispute but bizzarely continues to list Dentists who are part of the scheme whom are Not, I've checked this personally.

To put this in context, my own excellent dentist left the scheme entirely almost two year's ago, I'm still looking for a replacement Dentist that is in the scheme, I've just had to pay in the meantime despite having a full medical card. I had some PRSI entitlements.

I'm in the Midlands and even spoke to the HSE directly whom essentially said, "Good luck with that", gave me a list of 10 dentists currently on the scheme, Not One was on it when I contacted them.

Dublin might be different but I doubt it to be honest

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭blueredface

Hi, thanks and can you please direct me link of Dental Forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There you go OP, link below but primarily about Dental issues .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement