Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An post 25% stamp price increase within 1 year is a disgrace

Options
  • 02-02-2022 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

A few years ago when Denis Naughton was minister, he removed the comreg price cap on stamps after AnPost told him a cock and bull story that they'd have to cut back to 3 days per week delivery unless he did something. The old defence that an post are super past is longer true, it now takes up to 3 working days most of the time for a letter to arrive so they've taken full advantage of the price cap being done way with, before they knew if they fell behind on next day delivery, comreg wouldn't give them an increase, now they can do as they like thanks to Denis Naughton's action in 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I've switched to hand-delivering all my mail

No longer willing to pay these exorbitant prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

How much is a stamp,?

the fact you can get a piece of paper delivered to its exact location anywhere in the country in the next day or 2 for 1.25 is a bit of a bargain really.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Also, it's not a 25% increase OP. The current cost of a stamp is 1.10 and it's being increased to 1.25

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭user302243

And can get a letter delivered anywhere worldwide for less than a cup of coffee. It's crazy when you actually think how much effort it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well you can go to your local Tesco, buy a litre of milk (1kg) that was also delivered fresh from somewhere else in the country. And included in that price is the production cost, collection cost, processing and production, refrigeration, delivery and retailer margin.

• Advertisement

You can reuse 50% of stamps anyhow , they're not postmarked whatever they're doing

I just happened to notice, didn't even need bother going to PO for stamps , not that I use them much

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not sure if anyone has heard any recent interviews with AN POST'S CEO but my god, breath taking arrogance, bizzare interview on the Claire Byrne show before Christmas re the ongoing debacle over custom charges, parcels being returned and in essence exuded an attitude he doesn't give a toss about POST office network.

Yesterday he tried to justify the latest price increases on morning Ireland and he's now talking about the need for investment in the network 🙄

But by far the funniest interview re the price increase was Michael Healy Raes contribution Yesterday on Claire Byrne (worth a listen back)

Asked on to comment, he went into a 10 minute tangent about how wonderful your local post office and Master is , in essence he seems to think its an obligation of every Irish citizen to not only use their local PO but have an account there, it was extraordinarily funny and bizzare, even Claire started to laugh. But of course MHR is of course a post master, he did admit this but my god, he really lives in a parallel universe, but utterly entertaining all the same 😁

Worth pointing out, the price of a 10 pack of stamps is not increasing 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Well he's right about the local PO

Basically fuckked without them here all the banks closed in town and no way to manually lodge cash besides

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Cant even remember the last time I sent a letter. Even wedding invites are being done digitally.

Like it's still cheap, but these days it's pretty niche.

It's a fair point , I've been KBC for years and didn't generally need to do cash lodgement, my on solution was credit union account , use that and transfer electronically.

An Post have a new current account but at €5 per month maintenance charge, its pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

An Post can go and feck themselves.

During the lockdown they spent big money on sending out postcards to every household who could then send them for free just because it was a novelty during lockdown.

Well, now you've learned, it wasn't free!

BOI is a fiver a month charge, I'm with them , but I think that covers everything including unpaid DDs

Dunno about an post t+c's

There's a shedload of stuff u need the PO for if u live rurally

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Still post alot of business stuff as original documents are required. The cost is now nuts.

Registered A4 size envelope packed about 10mm thick with documents is 13 euro.

Post a few of those every day and you have a very significant outlay monthly on postage.

I live in the sticks (Slieve Bloom mountains) 20 years now and honestly can count on one hand the amount of times I used local PO, the adjoining supermarket yes, but very very rarely as the prices off the scale

? I post a lot of packages etc. at the po

I'm not paying that price

That's Shocking, is there no other alternative 🤔, I sent a letter by swift post last year and it cost €11, not even registered, just wanted it received quickly, never again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Registered letter - those things were always expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

AnPost for some reason had pretty much quit the parcel business by the first half of the 2010s, even though it was the obvious thing to concentrate on from the 00s onwards, by the 2010s they had lost almost all parcel business to the the likes of fastway. It was only when David McRedmond took over as CEO in around 2015 that they started to flight to win back parcel delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

That's the point. The volume of post is less, but the cost of the service is almost fixed, so the unit cost has to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

How much would DHL or Fastway charge to deliver you letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The same AnPost who started overpaying women to fix the "gender pay gap"? We're essentially paying the bill for their vanity projects it seems. I'm still chasing them down for over charging me on taxes months later. I used to think they were a good organization, but I've nothing but disdain for them now days, especially with all the lies about non EU mail being returned, a problem that still exists today.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

An Post are also playing fast and loose with their "we're below the average European cost" guff. Not sure of the current charges but they said the same last time they raised the cost to €1.10 - but careful perusal showed that the average (mean) cost was massively jacked up by Denmark as their price was €3+. So they were already above the median cost at that time, and have now jacked it up twice since.

Can somebody fix the the thread title? The correct term is 'disgrace, Joe'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I just found a book of national stamps in a drawer - oh good, I need those….. 55c 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is this the same An Post who pushed the same letter through my letter box 3 times despite it being for a completely different address almost a mile away? I kept popping it back in the post box and they kept delivering it. It takes a certain level of ineptitude to manage that. No wonder the price is increasing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Always buy N stamps, then the price increases don't matter.

Advertisement