Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When "legends" pass on and you've never heard of them

Options
  • 31-01-2022 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭

The Eastenders chap today for example.

I agree he's done plenty more than I ever will but nonetheless is he really that well known? I've passively watched the show on and off over the years and never spotted him.

I guess my point of opening this thread is how do we define a "legend"? Surely soap people can't count. Maybe Carole from Fair City will go down as a 'legend'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭StevenToast

You are a boards legend

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Maybe it was a typo and they meant leg end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

You must have been very passively watching... the character Dr Legg was there from the first episode in 1985 and was a frequent character in many storylines up until his last appearance in 2019. Within the soap watchers world the actor Leonard Fenton would be very well known. Certainly a legend in the history of Eastenders, even if nowhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

In the eastenders actors case, it can be seen as just showing respect for someone who did something for a long time.

But on the broader subject the word legendary can mean something to one, but nothing to another. Take for example Paul Orndorff. He died last year aged 71. The name might not ring a bell to most but he was a legendary WWF wrestler in the 80s. Headlined wrestlemania 1 tagging with roddy piper going against Mr t and hulk hogan. Yet if you asked a non wrestling fan they would say "Who?" Even ask wrestling fans of a certain young age they would be like "Who?" as well.

Yet if Hulk Hogan died tomorrow it would make news world wide. Some people achieve a higher level of fame, some people transcend outside of the medium that made them famous (think like Mike Tyson) and then some people lose their legendary fame as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

I will class myself a legend if I get to his age, is Dot Cotton still in it? She must be 100 by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Any sport "legend" that dies means nothing to me. Even after reading about them I don't think much of them. He kicked a football really well doesn't impress me

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

The actor retired and the character is living in Ireland now apparently. They should do a crossover and have her walk into McCoy's in Carrigstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

John Prine never heard of him before he died of covid 2 years back, but seemingly he had a huge following in country music circles😶

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Seemingly a legend of tv screen writing of British sitcoms/comedy died recently. Known to the entertainment industry but hardly to the wider public.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All those shows where they look back a the life of a stand up comedian who hasn't had a show in 20 years. It's all talking heads and shot clips out of context.

Just show us them doing a full routine with no interruptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He was huge all over really well, , if you were a country fan….he was

he had a house somewhere in the west of Ireland and used to go from sitting on stage with the greats in Nashville in front of 10,000 to sitting in a pub out west here just playing with a few locals….

I wasn’t into his stuff but he always seemed a nice, humble and very talented man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭AyeGer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

As said above, it depends on your field whether you see someone as a legend or not. Most people described as "legends" are musicians, actors and sportspeople, so if you're not into their genre/sport you might not see them as a legend. Politicians would fall less into this category due to increased polarisation these day.

I follow the NYT on facebook and sometimes do a second take at some of their obituaries, they'll have a very specific headline like "Bill Jones, hero of the Detroit historical embroidery scene, dies" or "Aretha Gonzales, legend of the Lower Manhattan Puerto Rican slow jazz dance hall circuit". It seems that if you narrow the niche enough, anyone can be described as a legend within it. I could probably be described as a legend within my family or workplace, even though I'd be pretty unremarkable to the wider world....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

When legends pass on they become more legendary.

Love Prine's works,Dear Abby is my fav.But much of his success and influence was behind the scenes. He wrote many number ones for other artists.A very genuine and humble man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

By that logic the most legendary person in the world must be whatever instagram celebrity is flavour of the month.

Advertisement