Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker Spaniel Pup

Options
  • 31-01-2022 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a female cocker spaniel pup, anyone know where I would get one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The Cocker Spaniel Club of Ireland is your best bet: http://www.cscoi.ie/ or keeping a close eye on rescue pages. For decent breeders, the waiting lists are usually long so it will be a wait either way.

Whilst there are undoubtedly plenty of backyard breeders out there, cockers can suffer from a devastating idiopathic rage syndrome and it is most definitely not worth the risk of getting a dog with that gene bred into it (been there!). There's a whole host of reasons not to purchase from those types of breeders, but particularly in dogs with those sort of gene mutations.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not an expert, but I read that red cocker spaniels are the ones that mainly have temperament issues. Something to check out anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

But isn't there a good chance most rescue dogs will be from the unscrupulous breeders bought by people who didn't do any due diligence before purchasing. Breeder with a good track record is your best bet .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I can testify to the idiopathic rage syndrome in female cocker spaniels. We had the most beautiful female red cocker spaniel and she had a very volatile temperament. She was such a beautiful dog that people would come to admire her when we walked her and we'd have to warn them to stay back. I would advise looking at other breeds.

Our next dog was a red and white Cavalier King Charles who had the most loving, gentle temperament. The current dog is a Cavapoo who is also extremely loving with a gentle temperament.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Absolutely, but the hope is the rescue would have the dog temperament tested beforehand. If they are a decent rescue anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement