Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth O' Callaghan

• 30-01-2022 4:33pm

Former 2FM and 4FM presenter Gareth O’Callaghan is back with a weekend show on Classic Hits Radio.

Gareth O’Callaghan At The Weekend will air Saturday mornings 10am to 2pm.

Gareth retired from radio in 2018 after a long and popular career on radio in Ireland and the UK.

He spent 15 years presenting Gareth O’Callaghan in the Afternoon on 2FM to a listenership of over 275,000, launching Brendan O’Carroll’s original radio play, Mrs Brown’s Boys, and his 9 year stint Ireland’s Classic Hits Radio (4FM) between 2009 and 2018.

Commenting on his return, Gareth said: “I’m very excited to get back to Ireland’s Classic Hits Radio after a three and a half year break, to present a new Saturday morning show from 10am to 2pm.

“Ireland’s Classic Hits Radio is one of the most exciting radio stations around and I can’t wait to get back to the studio and get back on-air.”

“I’m invigorated, feeling great and positive about the future. I want to share this positivity with all the listeners and am so looking forward to getting behind the mic once again.”

Kevin Branigan, CEO, Ireland’s Classic Hits Radio told RadioToday: “We’re delighted to welcome Gareth back to Ireland’s Classic Hits Radio, he is one of the most influential voices in modern Irish radio and it will be a pleasure to hear his voice gracing our airwaves once again. His enthusiasm is Infectious and we’re looking forward to welcoming him back”. He will start on 12th of February.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Jesus Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

cant wait to hear him read out texts and all those texts start with “Hi Gareth, love the show” again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Tork

If he's able to present a show despite his physical condition, what's the problem here? You might not like the man but he's as entitled as any other presenter to work on radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

It's a good idea for stations to take presenters out of retirement. In a world of generic young presenters sounding the same, they are solid household names.

Now all stations need to do is be a bit like RTE Gold and have more variety in the playlist. I'm sure Barry Lang gets tired of the restricted playlist each weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Just to clarify, Gareth did not spend all those 15 years on 2FM in the afternoons, although the majority was. When Ian Dempsey left 2FM for Today FM in the summer of 1998, Gareth was moved to breakfast for a period of time. He also did a stint on drivetime. I think it was after he was moved from breakfast, and it may have been when Barry Lang left 2FM later that year. Also, it should be noted that Gareth initially was the breakfast presenter on what was then called 4FM. He spent nearly two-and-a-half years in that slot before he was moved to his longest slot on the station - a combination of afternoon and drivetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Kevin et all really throwing the kitchen sink at all things classic hits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Which will undoubtedly arrive in droves before his first links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭monseiur

It seems that if you get a job with RTE it's a job for life.....and life means life 'till death do us part' The names Larry Gogan, Gay Byrne, Donncha O Dulaing Oliva O Leary et al spring to mind - all geriatrac cases, most have/had to be literally whelled around the place to the end. Perhaps RTE should consider investing our licence fee in training & mentoring new young talent, in otherwords invest in the future of the station not clutching at past straws. It's no wonder RTE is under such pressure from independent radio & TV stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Conqueror

I wasn't aware RTÉ had taken over Classic Hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There’s a decent audience size out there imo that the likes of Today FM absolutely doesn’t cater for anymore so I can see why the likes of Gareth, Barry Lang and Phil Cawley’s services would still be very sought after.

I’ve listened to Barry Lang on Classic hits a few times and while his voice is as good as it ever was, I think the music / playlist he’s stuck with lets him down. There’s a touch of robo-jock about it. It’s a pity he isn’t given a bit more freedom on the very samey bland playlist.

I forgot to mention that Gareth also presented a love song programme on Sunday mornings, in addition to his weekday programme, in his last year with the station. Gareth was the last of the original weekday presenters to leave 4FM/Classic Hits, so it will be interesting to see him back again, albeit on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

O'Callaghan retired with big fanfare in 2018, his last show on August 31 2018 was billed as his final ever radio show, before his final show he was absent from the schedule very frequently due to his health and he couldn't even do the whole 5 hours of his final show for health reasons (back to back music played in the final hour) so there's something a tad off-putting about this news.

It was announced later that year that he would present on Christmas FM, but it never happened.

so based on the current schedule (and once gareth re-joins) Classic Hits presenters, once with 2FM are:

colm hayes

lucy kennedy

damien farrelly

enda murphy

barry lang

ruth scott

gareth o'callaghan

And phil cawley sometimes "phils-in"

Previous 4FM/Classic Hits presenters that had previously been with 2FM include: Gerry Stevens, Jimmy Greeley, Marian Farrell, Nails Mahoney, Dusty Rhodes and Nikki Hayes.

I think Dave Heffernan did some shows for Radio 2 in the early - mid 80s ?

I could be wrong about Marian Farrell. She was a continuity announcer for RTE, and now I am not sure if she was with 2FM at all.

I think Gareth O'Callaghan and Brian Walsh were the only Classic Hits presenters that had been involved with Galway Bay FM.

• Advertisement

Advertisement