Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stairs - Within a room?

Options
  • 29-01-2022 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

Was wondering if its possible to place or have a staircase leading down from first floor (corridor and landing in place) into a room on ground floor, for example a kitchen/dining space. Would it be a fire regulation concern? Would it be a bad design feature in your opinions?

picture attached to show what i am thinking of?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It's fine, as far as I can recall, as long as it's not a kitchen and bottom of stairs is within 4 metres of an external door (for escape purposes). That's from memory....open to correction on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

My partner and I are in the process of buying a house and I'm certain that when we were viewing houses at the beginning, we saw a home with a similar layout to the second image.

I'm not an official or anything but I can't imagine there are regulations against it outside of what the above poster has said.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ArtieBucco

Thanks guys, just that someone asked my opinion on having stairs leading down from their master bedroom into their open plan kitchen/dining space. My first reaction was no, stairs into kitchen is a no go...

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

It can also be a problem for noise. We lived in a house where the stairs were in the living room. Had to keep the tv very low at night because the sound travelled up to the kids’ bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It becomes an issue if there is a third story or attic conversion.

But otherwise it’s possible with the considerations above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ArtieBucco

Thanks Gumbo, appreciated.

I should pay more attention to the building regs. I should have known this, but I'm a newbie and have limited experience.

Thanks for sharing the above 👌

Advertisement